Franks: 'Everything's a lot better in life after win

Coming off a 43-17 win against Navy, a happier, more relaxed head football coach Carl Franks spoke confidently about his team Monday, saying that having two wins after five games as opposed to zero as in the last two seasons makes a "world of difference" on the team's outlook.

"There's not any better feeling in the world Saturday night and Sunday after a win," Franks said. "Everything's a lot better in life. We all feel better about going out to practice."

Franks said the Blue Devils will continue to play star linebacker Ryan Fowler at outside linebacker. Fowler had a very successful season at the outside position last year, but was moved inside in the preseason to add quickness to the defense.

Franks was confident in the move of Fowler to the inside after the Northwestern game, but has since changed his mind.

"I think [the move] would help him a little bit," Franks said. "It will also allow us to get Jim Scharrer in the game a little more. We try to get the guys who are playing best on the field."

Duke is hoping to use its confidence to defeat Virginia��a team that defeated Wake Forest 38-34 last week--this Saturday. Franks said both teams have players with limited experience at important positions. He also said he feels that experience will not be a problem this week because his young team is gaining confidence with each game.

"Our freshmen have played pretty well," Franks said. "You've got to go out there and make mistakes and experience game speed. I think we are a similar team [to Virginia] in that we play a lot of young guys. We've got a lot of people back��though they're just not necessarily seniors."

The Blue Devil's weak secondary was given a break against Navy's option, but this will not be the case against Virginia. Cavalier quarterback Matt Schaub has emerged as a star, leading the ACC in completion percentage at an outstanding 71.5 percent. Franks said he is worried how his weak defensive backfield will deal with the prowess of Schaub and All-American candidate wide receiver Billy McMullen.

"What we haven't done very well is defend the pass," Franks said. "That's going to be an interesting part of the football game. We're going to have to score some points."

Franks said the improvement of his football team comes from varied sources.

"There's a difference in a lot of areas," he said. "We had seven interceptions [on defense] last year. We have eight now. Our turnover margin is a lot better than last year's. We're much better running the ball. You can look at a lot of statistics and see improvement."

Franks, who admits still being disappointed with the loss to Northwestern, said his team hopes to make up for it against Virginia. He plans on using a variety of offensive patterns against Virginia's solid defense.

"We're going to try to confuse them offensively," Franks said.

Share and discuss “Franks: 'Everything's a lot better in life after win” on social media.