Franks eager to take on Deacons

Head coach Carl Franks quickly shifted his thoughts of disappointment about the close Virginia game to optimism for this Saturday's Wake Forest game at his weekly press conference Monday.

He said he is interested how the Wake game will play out because both teams have competing strengths.

"This week is a little bit different," Franks said. "We run the ball, [Wake Forest] stops the run. It's just a matter if we can stop it, over and over again."

Franks said he did not know if the Blue Devils' problem Saturday was "knowing how to win." He said that on paper his team definitely out-played Virginia, having nearly 100 more total yards and seven more first downs than the Cavaliers.

"You run down the stat sheet, looking at all except turnovers, and you'd say, 'Duke probably won the football game,'" he said.

Franks put most of the blame for the loss on turnovers and penalties. He was, however, very pleased about the play of several individual players.

Franks had significant praise for junior defensive lineman Shawn Johnson, who is leading the ACC in sacks and tackles for a loss. Johnson had been an occasional starter his first two seasons, but has emerged as a star this year.

Franks said that Johnson, who weighs about 60 pounds less than most of his matchups, has a great work ethic and is also a very good student.

"I definitely use my quickness when I can when I'm out there on the field," Johnson said. "I'm usually out-matched physically, so I have to resort to other things."

Franks also said he was very pleased to have tailback Chris Douglas back at full stride after a nagging ankle injury slowed him for most of the season. Franks said he had hoped Douglas would be at 100 percent for the UVa game because Virginia's run defense stacks the middle. Alex Wade, Duke's leading rusher this season, runs up the middle on nearly every attempt, so Franks said he wanted to mix it up.

Douglas ran for 126 yards by going to the outside, and he also had 89 yards receiving. Franks said he was very happy to have last year's most potent offensive weapon back.

Ironically, just as Douglas had recovered, Wade hurt his ankle against Virginia, but Franks said the injury should not slow him down significantly.

"He practiced yesterday. I don't think [the injury] is going to affect him at all," Franks said.

Franks also said he has been very impressed with the development of sophomore quarterback Adam Smith, sentiments which Virginia coach Al Groh seconded after Saturday's game.

"The key to the [Duke] team was the quarterback," Groh said. "The throws he made in the first half were really excellent."

Franks continued his praise when mentioning wide receiver Reggie Love. The junior had a career game against Virginia, catching six passes for 67 yards. Franks said he has been very hard on Love throughout the Charlotte native's career, but acknowledged his solid play in front of the entire team after the game Saturday.

"I had been on his ass for a long time," Franks said.

Duke is eager to get on the field against Wake Forest to attempt to end its 19-game ACC losing streak--two away from the league record. Douglas, for one, is sanguine that the skid will be stopped.

"We will win some league games this year," Douglas said.

Share and discuss “Franks eager to take on Deacons” on social media.