Duke hopes to end 47-game streak

The field hockey team (9-5, 0-3 in ACC) faces off against UNC (7-7, 2-2) in Chapel Hill tomorrow afternoon at 1 p.m before taking on Radford at home in a non-ACC match at 2 p.m. the following day. The No. 10 Blue Devils are seeking to avenge a double overtime loss to the Tar Heels earlier in the season.

"The weekend is UNC, that is where our focus is right now," injured sophomore forward Johanna Bischof said. "After that game, we will move on and think about Radford, but right now we know that UNC is our big game."

Bischof, known as "Jo" to her teammates and coach,will be sorely missed up front. She is a powerful offensive presence who is leading the team in assists with nine, and tied for fifth in goals scored, with four. She is also third in points and second in shots.

"We have spent the week trying to jockey our line-up around since we lost Jo,' head coach Liz Tchou said. "She is such a crucial part of the team."

Although Tchou would not disclose the new lineup, Bischof added that junior Kim Gogola would do a good job in her absence.

"Kim has similar skills as me," Bischof said. "She's a bit more defensive that I am, but I am confident she will be able to step it up."

Aside from playing against its greatest rival on the road, the team will also have the "streak" on its mind. The Tar Heels have defeated the Blue Devils 47 consecutive times. Tchou, however, would not concede that it is on the minds of her players.

"It's a rivalry; it's always going to be a rivalry," Tchou said. "As for a streak, we don't really think of it that way."

Commenting on the string of losses, Bischof offered this bold prediction.

"We'll win and end it," she said.

The Blue Devils will have to play solid defense versus a UNC team that tallied five goals against them only two weeks ago. Duke, which has surrendered 13 goals in three ACC matches, is eager for its first win in the conference.

"We are going to have to keep possession of the backfield and play consistent 'D'," senior defender Sarah Wright said.

UNC will undoubtedly come out strong, eager to end its own streak of three consecutive losses over the last two weeks, as well as rise above its mediocre .500 record.

The Tar Heels, led by the scoring of Kerry Falgowski, will have to find some way to control the midfield in order to put together quality goal scoring opportunities. UNC, although outshooting UVa 15-1 last weekend, was unable to find the back of the net and ended up losing the game 1-0.

The undeniable significance of a win for both teams will only increase the intensity level already stemming from the matchup. Duke's determination in the face of the Tar Heels' poor season should lead to a well-played match with Duke possibly emerging victorious.

"With the Tar Heels at .500 and coming off three straight losses, the team knows, if any year, this is the year," said Bischof.

Share and discuss “Duke hopes to end 47-game streak” on social media.