Perrier shines in goal as Duke wins first 2 games

The field hockey team opened its season with back-to-back victories on the road this weekend, culminating in Sunday's 4-2 defeat of Delaware.

"I am really pleased with this weekend," head coach Liz Tchou said. "I am proud of our kids because they stuck with the game plan and--for the most part--stayed consistent in their ability to make decisions and move the ball around."

The team found themselves down 1-0 after Delaware's Katie Kelly scored 15:35 into the game. The Blue Devils responded with three consecutive goals, precipitated by freshman Nicole Dudek's shot five minutes later.

"When Delaware scored, it was a wake-up call for us," senior tri-captain Sarah Wright said. "We were really angry and that enabled us to put in three goals."

Just 38 seconds later, Kim Gogola notched her first goal of the season on a lift off the corner after assists by Katie Grant and Johanna Bischof.

"Kim followed the game plan nicely," Tchou said. "She played really solidly and distributed the ball well."

Stacey Tsougas then scored off Bischof's assist to put Duke up 3-1.

The Fightin' Blue Hens narrowed Duke's lead to one with Kim Wagaman's goal. The Blue Devils' Katie Grant then sealed the victory for Duke with her unassisted goal with just under 20 minutes left in the game.

Duke outshot Delaware 15-10, and drew five more penalty corners. Goalkeeper Erica Perrier recorded four saves.

"One of our greatest strengths was that we took more shots than Delaware," Tchou said. "We were making the goalie play shot after shot, which is a change from last year. We also drew more corners."

In Saturday's action, Duke shut out La Salle 4-0. Midfielder Gracie Sorbello scored the first goal of the season to put the Blue Devils up by one at the half.

Kim Van Kirk then netted consecutive goals at the 35:36 and 47:17 marks. Grant closed out the game when her goal put Duke up 4-0 with 6:25 left in the contest.

The Blue Devils recorded 17 shots in the first half and 14 in the second half of the matchup. Defensively, Perrier registered one save and Wright had a defensive save.

"Sarah was a leader in the game," Tchou said. "She stepped up and played with a lot of urgency, as if she was on a mission."

Share and discuss “Perrier shines in goal as Duke wins first 2 games” on social media.