Men's golf finishes 4th as Sunday storms ends rally

If nothing else, at least they're in touch with nature.

Just as the Tennessee sun fell behind dark rainclouds this weekend, so too did the glimmer of a first place finish for men's golf team end up a little dimmer in their first action of the year at The Ridges Golf and Country Club in Jonesborough, Tenn., Sunday afternoon.

The Blue Devils, opening their season against an imposing 14-team field in the Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate Tournament, saw their comeback, from a six-stroke deficit Saturday, turn into a share of the lead with three holes to go Sunday, and then become swept up by the storm--instead settling for fourth place.

"I think the weather was part of it, but I also think we need to learn how to finish stronger," said senior Leif Olson, who tied for first individually with a one-under total of 215 for the three rounds.

Olson led the team all weekend with his strong play and perseverance on the Ridges' slick greens, but his triple bogey in the final round showed him a similar fate to that of his teammates, as Duke gave way to the late Sunday rain and sixth-ranked Wake Forest. The Deacons held on to a team victory with a three-day tally of 876, seven strokes better than the Blue Devils.

Behind Olson for the team's individual performances was freshman standout Ryan Blaum, who fired a ninth-place 218 in his first collegiate action. Fellow classmate Alex Wilson was Duke's next best finisher with a 227, in 42nd place.

Mike Castleforte (T-46th, 229) and Rob Beasley (T-50th, 229) represented the rest of the Blue Devil contingent, which next heads to the second of their five events in the fall season at the Windom Memorial in Chicago on Sept. 30. For the time being, though, the team will hold its rain-soaked heads high.

"We showed we can compete at the highest level," said assistant coach Jason Widener, who accompanied the team down to Jonesborough. "We played through tough conditions and were right there, so the last three holes were just tough luck. We played as hard as we could and didn't let the weather situation affect us. It just didn't work out this time, and we'll certainly be ready next time out."

Share and discuss “Men's golf finishes 4th as Sunday storms ends rally” on social media.