FSU's comeback sends volleyball to 2nd ACC loss

The volleyball team continued its ACC free fall Saturday night, losing to Florida State 3-1 (19-30, 31-29, 30-25, 30-19) at Tully Gymnasium in Tallahassee, Fla.

"I'm disappointed we didn't win the match tonight," head coach Jolene Nagel said. "We played hard as a team and really dominated in Game 1. We need to do a better job of thinking about the little things if we are going to be successful."

The Blue Devils (12-5, 0-2 in the ACC) began the day by crushing the Seminoles (10-4, 2-0) 30-19 in the first game. However, the Seminoles turned the tide on Duke, which was led by junior Katie Gilman's 14 kills, by winning a 31-29 nailbiter in Game 2. From there, Duke collapsed as the Seminoles rolled on through the match's last two games.

Senior Jill Sonne turned in the best all-around performance of the match, notching 12 kills, four aces, 10 digs and three block assists in the loss. Krista Dill added nine kills and a .273 hitting percentage, and Arielle Linderman and Rachel Vander Griend each had five block assists. The Blue Devils out blocked the Seminoles 13-7.

On the other side of the net, FSU's Kristin Frye racked up her second double-double of the season with 19 kills, 12 digs and a .485 hitting percentage.

"I'm very happy with the way we finished the match tonight," said Seminole head coach Todd Kress. "We had a gut check and I think tonight will go a long way in building team confidence."

It is the second ACC loss for the Blue Devils who have gone a frigid 4-5 since starting the year on a torrid 8-0 pace. Duke was upset by Wake Forest in Durham in its first ACC contest.

The Blue Devils return home to face Virginia Thursday night in Cameron Indoor Stadium. Duke then plays conference foe Maryland Friday at home.

Share and discuss “FSU's comeback sends volleyball to 2nd ACC loss” on social media.