Football team looks for 2nd win against Navy

During the preseason, many critics noted one game on the Blue Devils' schedule that could have been the end to their embarrassing 23-game losing streak. The game circled was Duke's Sept. 28th date with the Navy Midshipmen (1-2). Despite ending the ignominious streak against ECU, Duke still has much to prove this weekend in Annapolis, Md.

"This is a game we need to win," head coach Carl Franks said. "It's just as important as the East Carolina game."

Navy's high-powered offense racks up an average of 32 points per game, exactly doubling Duke's output. Only one name comes to mind when the Midshipmen have the ball: Chris Candeto. Navy's option offense allows Candeto to roam the field as he pleases, and he gives defenses nightmares through the air and on the ground. He leads the team in passing and rushing with a combined 700 total yards in three games. In addition, he has run into the endzone seven times and averages over five yards a carry. Franks could not find a practice player to simulate Navy's star but he is confident in his defense's ability to stop the run.

"Defensively, we play the run very well," Franks said. "But we've given up some big plays down the field."

Duke's secondary will be busy making decisions when Candeto is out of the pocket making decisions. The Blue Devils' fate could rest on the shoulders of their linebackers.

Both team's defenses allow more than 30 points a game, which should lead to an offensive slugfest.

Duke's main offensive threats, Alex Wade and Chris Douglas, do most of their damage on the ground and when healthy they are a formidable pair. After sitting out last week's game with an ankle injury, Douglas should be ready this weekend to carry the ball for the Blue Devils. This may be necessary because Franks is skeptical about his offenses' passing ability.

"We're different offensively than I expected being with the loss of D. Bryant," Franks said. "We have to concentrate more on running the football and bringing the passing game along slowly."

This weekend would not be a bad time for the Blue Devils to try and assert themselves in the air often, as Navy has previously given up 65 points to the nation's highest-rated passer, Philip Rivers, and the N.C. State offense.

"I think everybody who plays us is going to try and run the ball--they are going to mash us," Navy head coach Paul Johnson said. "We aren't very big and we haven't stopped the run. If I was going to play us I would run it. I'm sure they are going to try and run and see if we can stop it and then try and hit big pass plays."

Wade has already earned praise from his coach for leaving the pocket and getting open on screens, another option Duke may try this weekend.

"He's a solid receiver," Franks sad. "Hopefully we'll try and throw it to him a little bit more when we can't get the ball down the field."

After putting Navy on the chopping block in the preseason, the critics have given them more fuel to come out and win this game.--Duke will have to play composed in its early defensive and offensive series, especially on the road in front of Navy's homecoming crowd.

"I'm sure that Navy feels like they should win this game too," Franks said. "Especially when a lot of people predicted this was the first game we'd win this year."

Share and discuss “Football team looks for 2nd win against Navy” on social media.