Core of returning players look to lead baseball team

Few teams can lose their top two players in a draft and come back the next season with universally high expectations. But after amassing a nationally ranked recruiting class, and returning a strong core of experienced players, the baseball team finds itself in exactly that position.

As the Blue Devils started practice a few days ago, the loss of Kevin Kelly and Larry Broadway--the team's top two hitters--has not dampened team optimism. Coach Bill Hillier praised his team's increased depth and maturity as well as the strength of the incoming freshman class and cited these reasons for his bullish outlook.

Senior utility player Brian Patrick agreed with his coach. "Losing Kevin and Larry obviously hurts, they were two of our best players," he said. "But I really don't think it's going to be a problem. We've got a lot of seniors coming back."

Although Duke's strength may remain with its returning members--and Hillier insists that if the season were to begin today, he would not need to start any freshmen--it's hard to overlook the strength of the incoming class.

This year's class was ranked in the top-20 in the country, and is highlighted by catcher Brian Hernandez, who was drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers in the eleventh round but opted instead to go to college.

"The freshmen look very good," Hillier said. "We're finally getting to a point where I can bring the freshmen along more slowly, and not just throw them into the fire, like I have been doing the last couple of years."

Duke's experience, however, is expected to carry the team, especially on the mound. The team benefits from the return on senior Jeff Alleva, who lead his summer team with a 1.17 ERA. Junior Justin Dilucchio and sophomore Paul DeMarco are also expected to be strong contributors for the Blue Devils.

Duke is also looking forward to the return of pitcher Kevin Thompson who was sidelined last season and forced to undergo shoulder surgery.

"He was our leading guy when he got hurt, and I told him he'd be our leading guy when he got back," Hillier said.

Thompson also expressed enthusiasm about returning to play for the Blue Devils.

"Anytime you've been out for as long as I have, it's a new vision for the game," he said, adding that his arm felt strong. "Any time you can come back and love the game like you did when you were a little kid I think that can only help you."

The team also returns several talented position players, including Patrick--who is Duke's top returning hitter, batting .344 last season--and Brian Smith, who was named Valley League MVP this summer.

However, with all the team's experience and depth, it was the highly-touted freshman Hernandez that best encapsulated the team's enthusiasm.

"I got drafted in the 11th round and I passed that up because I believe in the coaches and the program," he said. "We have nowhere to go but up. The first two weeks have been awesome, I can't explain how great it is to be here."

Share and discuss “Core of returning players look to lead baseball team” on social media.