Calling a spade a spade

In the wake of a tragedy, the need to be sensitive increases while the line that defines what is and is not sensitive blurres. On this anniversary of Sept. 11, I can tell you one thing: The line has been crossed.

Last Sunday I read the latest issue of Vogue and The New York Times' Sunday Styles section. Each publication was, as usual, filled with fashion ads. But as the anniversary of the attacks approaches, some companies have chosen to include post-Sept. 11 sentiments in their advertising. kate spade is one company that encompasses the best and the worst of this marketing trend in their very different ads placed in each publication. Their ad in Vogue is a five page spread entitled "Visiting Tennessee." The pictures in the spread tell the story of the J.D. Salinger-inspired Lawrence family reuniting in New York City for a weekend. The ad romanticizes the city through the fictional Lawrences' weekend in the hope that people who see the ad will not only buy kate spade products, but will also come visit this magical New York City they are presented with. This ad not only promotes the importance of family, but also lends support to the campaign encouraging New York City tourism.

In contrast, the ad which ran in the New York Times' Sunday Styles section presents the reader with a miniature word search, in which one is challenged to find the terms hope, peace, friends, community, strength, family, courage, and perseverance. What's the harm in that you ask? Well, further down the length of the ad is a picture of a

kate spade

bag, the "'Have Courage' Medium Shopper in wool--available in red/navy, navy/red, and charcoal/navy for $195" to be specific. There is no subtlety or greater message here: Buy the bag and you will be patriotic.

To be fair, kate spade is not the only company that has created products specifically to commemorate Sept. 11, but what makes most of those other products easier to swallow is that some, if not all, of the profits from the sale of the product will go to one of the various worthy Sept. 11 charities. With this product and this ad, there is no such sugar to help the marketing go down.

No doubt marketeers at kate spade have convinced themselves they are acting out of sensitivity and respect. However, I have to ask, does the use of a horrific event as a marketing tool really fit into the current definition of sensitivity? Or have the minds behind the marketing lost perspective and confused patriotism with crass commercialism?

Share and discuss “Calling a spade a spade” on social media.