1-0 football seeks respect

Was it a fluke?

The football team (1-0) will get its first chance to answer the question everyone has been asking when they face Louisville Saturday at 7 p.m. in Wallace Wade Stadium.

"This is a big game for us--bigger than ECU," junior running back Alex Wade said. "If we win this one, it'll really make us legitimate."

The two teams could not have had different opening games. Louisville went into its first game Sunday against Kentucky with last season's Conference USA coach of the year, John Smith, last season's Conference USA offensive player of the year, quarterback Dave Ragone, last season's Conference USA defensive player of the year, defensive end Dewayne White, the nation's No. 18 ranking and homefield advantage. But all that firepower was not enough to beat the Wildcats, a team that won only two games a season ago.

On the other hand, Duke came into its game against East Carolina with the nation's longest losing streak before shocking nearly all pigskin forecasters with a 23-16 victory.

Although normalcy is expected to return to the two teams this week, there are several factors that should make the game interesting.

Last week Louisville's offensive line provided little support for Ragone, who is considered a Heisman candidate this season.

Ragone was sacked three times in the game and was hurried nearly every down in the Cardinals' 22-17 loss. Without last year's best two receivers, Ragone played one of the worst games of his career, throwing 14-for-39 with 193 yards, one touchdown and a very costly interception.

This contrasts nicely with the Blue Devils' defensive line, which gave up only 25 rushing yards against ECU.

"Whenever you see somebody's offensive line suffering, you think to attack the line," junior linebacker Ryan Fowler said. "We've got to take advantage of that. I think its going to be a really big game for [the defense]. Without an offensive line, the quarterback is nothing."

Things look more precarious for the Blue Devils on offense. The Cardinals defense lived up to expectations, holding Kentucky to negative eight yards on its first five plays.

"Their defense played extremely well in stopping Kentucky from scoring after turnovers," head coach Carl Franks said.

The Blue Devils will still be experimenting with two quarterbacks. Adam Smith will start once again, but he will share time with Chris Dapolito. Last week at ECU, the wet conditions forced Duke to run the ball more often.

"I don't know what kind of passing game we have yet because we couldn't throw it last week," Franks said.

Wade will look to repeat his career-high, 109-rushing yard performance this Saturday. Although last Saturday's conditions complimented the Philadelphia native's style, he may have trouble adjusting to the heat, a factor which he has complained about.

After playing through injuries last week, junior running back Chris Douglas is 100 percent healthy, and he looks to regain the form he displayed last year as the Blue Devils leading rusher.

"They're bigger than East Carolina up front, so I don't think I'm going to be featured as much," Wade said. "We're going to have to use our whole offense to win."

Louisville brought controversy to the game with its decision not to exchange game tape. Normally seen as an act of arrogance, Duke is downplaying the event.

"I don't know what was behind [the game tape controversy]," Fowler said. "I have no real feelings about it. Maybe it's because there's only been one game this season, and we've changed our whole defense. They don't need our game tape, and we don't need there's."

After its surprising win, and Louisville's surprising loss, Duke is confident.

"[Louisville] losing to Kentucky certainly gives us hope," Fowler said. "We have all the moment

Share and discuss “1-0 football seeks respect” on social media.