One Night in the Capital City

The final nail has yet to be pushed into the wooded casket, but the demise is eminent: Duke's on-campus social scene is effectively dead. Occasionally, Fraternities can jump through enough administrative hoops to throw a raucous bash or Central Campus parties can attract enough people to make a dent on the university's social compass. Nevertheless, the lion's share of activity, now takes place in Durham and down 15-501 in Chapel Hill.

Anticipating a potential burnout of social options in those cities and delving into a local and largely untapped resource, Recess traveled to the last point of the Triangle Saturday night, as editors Meg Lawson and Greg Veis spent an evening in Raleigh. A 30-minute drive from campus at night, Raleigh offers many more nightlife attractions than either of the other two cities--most of which Duke students have been loathe to visit.

Until now, of course. With this guide that will help you navigate through one night in the Capital city, the reasons to stay on campus instead of being socially adventurous are dwindling. Meg's female take on the destinations are in red, and Greg's are in blue.

Let the festivities begin:

Hard Times--410 Glenwood Avenue

For a place that has devoted its entire entrance to the various "Best Chili" awards it has collected over the years, this joint ain't what's it's cracked up to be. Sure, the four types of chili Hard Times offers--Texas (just meat, no tomato base), Cincinnati (sweet), Vegetarian (take a guess, smart guy) and Terlingua Red (Terlinguan)--are all bowl-worthy, but the glaring omission of a five-alarm, spicy one does not merit all the honors. No spicy chili plus all the gastrointestinal side effects equals a mediocre experience.

While I usually like things wet and all the way (like the staff t-shirt proclaimed), at Hard Times, I went for the dry, black and spicy Texas chili. Even without the wet tomatoes, I left surprisingly satisfied.

Overall--B

Hibernian--311 Glenwood Avenue

Ever wonder where all the single 30-somethings in Raleigh to get some action after work on Friday? Yeah, me neither, but in case your looking for a sugar daddy or just a more experienced hookup, the Hibernian's for you. With its James Joyce-like interior and vintage Guiness ads, you might just wonder if you stumbled into the wrong place for trivia.

They had Yuengling on tap and despite my less-than-aged visage, they still thought I was legit. I'll raise my glass to that.

Overall--B+

42nd Street Oyster Bar & Seafood Grill--508 W. Jones St.

Despite the ritzy cars lining the parking lot and the high marks given to it by local restaurant guides, 42nd Street still manages to pull in a hard-partying, youthful crowd. It's a fancy restaurant without the off-putting pretense. We slurped down some oysters at the bar, and when the clock struck 10, the Heaters started roaring some dirty southern rock. Although the oysters, clam chowder, and spinach and shrimp salad were not as tasty as expected, I have yet to go to a Triangle restaurant that has matched 42nd Street's atmosphere.

And the next morning I awoke after dreams of the buttery sweet hushpuppies.

Let's not get carried away.

Overall--A-

Ri-Ra--126 N. West Street

After the Hibernian, I was a bit worried that Irish pubs=older people, but Ri-Ra proved me wrong. The joint's divided into four sections--the Library, the Shop, Langton's and Olympia--each with its own bar and flavor. Two of the most popular, Langton's and Olympia, are authentic vintage Irish pubs brought across the pond to Raleigh. The bar's history and the selection of top-shelf liquor brought in the first red-faced boozers I didn't mind hitting on me.

Yuppies.

Overall--B+

Jillian's--117 S. West Street

Just because celebrities go someplace doesn't mean it's cool. After seeing a few advertisments on Noggin (that kiddie satellite network), I was curious why someone would take her 12-year-old to a nightclub. Until I went inside: Imagine Chuck E. Cheese with Absolut and a little Indian casino. Charles Barkley was apparently hitting up the VIP room, MoJo's, tonight, but after the $6 cover and the over-priced game card, I wasn't interested.

The casino-style point system ($5=1,800 Jillian's points or something like that) effectively confused about exactly how overpriced each standard video game is, but I'm estimating $1.25 for the lame NBA pinball game with others ranging to $2.50 and more a game. I quickly blew through my game card and was forced to hang with fake-rasta in the beach room.

So, apparently this place doesn't let 20-year-olds in at night, and with the cop standing right next to the bouncer, this was no time to bust out the fakie. Though I wouldn't recommend doing it every time you go out, I found some perverse pleasure in standing outside the club by myself for 45 minutes wondering what all the entrants would be doing after having penetrated the heavily-guarded doors. There were the two doe-eyed blonds, busoms a-heavin', who were immediately escorted to the VIP room; there was the rich, old husband in a tux escorted by his trophy wife with the shifty eyes; and there was the star of the Bachelorette Party with the dildoed wedding veil. Getting rejected at the door shouldn't be this much fun.

Overall--C-

The Office--310 S. West Street

After heading to Raleigh's least mature night spot, we decided to try the older and more upscale Office, only to be brutally rebuffed for lack of proper attire. Okay, well me and my fucking Paper Jeans didn't want in your bitch-pants-no-excessive-jewelry-members-only place anyway.

The Oxygen Club--412 W. Davie St.

Tired of taking in the ambience of the outside of clubs, I wanted to hit up the only 18+ joint around; however, once we strode up to the entrance, the sea of mullets and 16 year-olds with fake IDs was too much to handle. Only recommended for the Billy Ray Cyrus circa 1991 and R. Kelly.

King's--424 S. McDowell St.

Having taken in a couple shows here before, I wanted to catch whatever indie band they had lined up for the evening. Unfortunately, the owners decided to transform this once-friendly rock club into an unnecessarily exclusive members-only affair. Screw that. Although the membership cost isn't exorbitant, it defeats the purpose of independent (read: poorer) rock.

All I saw was a bunch of grunge rock rejects, but if that's your scene...

Overall--C

Vertigo--426 S. McDowell St.

Exactly what the end of the night calls for, Vertigo effectively fuses a fifties diner and a hipster bar. And yes, hot gay men. Mark and Eric were a welcome respite from the straight booze hounds I fended off everywhere else. Definitely worth a stop on any trip to downtown Raleigh, gay or straight.

As hip as a late-night bar/diner can get. Outkast and The Sex Pistols on the speakers, specialty drinks with names like Plato's Cave and Man & Superman and a roomful of hipsters recovering from a night out.

Overall--A

Share and discuss “One Night in the Capital City” on social media.