Men's soccer eases past UNC-Wilmington 'Hawks

The men's soccer team won its second exhibition match of the season defeating the UNC Wilmington Seahawks 3-0 Sunday night at UNC-W Soccer Stadium. Striker Jordan Cila scored twice and Owoicho Adogwa added a third as the Blue Devils outshot the Seahawks 16-5.

The scoring began in the 10th minute when Cila caught a feed from freshman forward Danny Kramer before pounding it in the back of the net a goal. Cila and Kramer again hooked up in the 32nd minute as the junior used his head to knock in a loose ball.

Offense on both sides then lapsed before Adogwa blazed by his defender in the 67th minute and slammed the ball to the right side of the net, scoring Duke's third on the night.

Wilmington only got off five shots during the game, none of which were a serious threat to goalie Justin Trowbridge, who did not even have to register a save.

In the their first exhibition game, the Blue Devils creamed Charleston Southern, winning 12-0 Aug. 18 at Koskinen Stadium.

Eight Blue Devils got in the scoring, including a Adogwa, who had a hat trick, Cila and co-captain Donald McIntosh, who both tallied three goals. McIntosh opened up the scoring barrage when he beat Mark Valdez in the second minute. The Blue Devils then added six more goals in the first half and five in the second, outshooting the Buccaneers 32-2.

Overall, head coach John Rennie is excited about his team as it goes into the regular season.

"Even though we have a lot of the players back from last year's team, they are not the same players they were at the beginning of last year," head coach John Rennie said in a statement. "They are much more experienced, confident and ready to play. In addition, we have some very good incoming freshmen."

The Blue Devils begin their regular season when they take on the Holy Cross Crusaders Friday at 7:30 p.m. in Koskinen Stadium.

Share and discuss “Men's soccer eases past UNC-Wilmington 'Hawks” on social media.