The First Week of the Theater Season

Although it's often hidden, Duke's on-campus theater community is one of the nation's strongest among liberal arts colleges, ranging from faculty-directed shows with lush production values to plays borne of pure student-run energy. Two of Duke's most prevalent theater groups, Duke Players, an arm of the Department of Theater Studies, and Hoof 'n' Horn, the South's oldest student-run musical theater organization, use a variety of means to attract new membership. After all, with turnover at least every four years, fresh blood is always needed.

Hoof 'n' Horn, in preparation for "The Mystery of Edwin Drood," its first production of the year opening October 17, presented an energetic cabaret of songs from previous shows. The cast rehearsed most of the numbers the day of the show, and despite some problems with pitch and a few misplaced dance steps, won over a mostly freshman house. Driven by enthusiasm and shameless playing to the crowd, numbers from A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum and The Who's Tommy were especially strong.

Hosting the show were Hoof 'n' Horn membership chairs David Beckmann and Jordan Eccles, painting themselves as "The Captain and the Soldier," with Beckmann in a tux and affected British accent, and Eccles, a member of ROTC, in army fatigues. As freshman continued to trickle in, past cast members performed numbers from Godspell, Kiss Me, Kate, Grand Hotel and even Muppet Treasure Island.

The hosts expressed satisfaction with the energy of the audience. "It's great to perform for people who will someday be leaders of the organization," Beckmann said. He added that showing off the group's strongest numbers was a great way to ensure the future of the theatrical group.

Duke Players will also be presenting a slice of its student talent next week, with a showing of Christopher Durang's The Actor's Nightmare in 209 East Duke. Running Friday and Saturday at 8 p.m. and under the direction of sophomore Amit Mahtaney, the comedy features a student cast and idiosyncratic humor typical of its playwright. The production includes a "peanut gallery" which jeers from the audience, and admission is free.

Share and discuss “The First Week of the Theater Season” on social media.