Dapolito, Smith to compete for starting QB job

Head football coach Carl Franks provided an optimistic, yet realistic view of his luckless team at a press conference Tuesday.

Franks began by discussing the quarterback position--a position in turmoil after D. Bryant, last season's starter who was suspended from the football team during the offseason, transferred. Although he acknowledged that circumstances could be better, Franks looked at this year as a chance to start anew.

"Sometimes you just need change," Franks said, adding that the competition for the vacated quarterback spot has been narrowed to sophomores Chris Dapolito and Adam Smith.

Franks has left open many options for deciding who will run the team, including ideas such as waiting until the last week of preseason to make a decision, or giving both quarterbacks equal playing time.

Monday's scrimmage at Wallace Wade Stadium made the quarterback decision even tougher for Franks. The pair combined to throw for 265 yards and three touchdowns during Duke's 90-play scrimmage. Dapolito was 9-of-20 through the air for 120 yards and one touchdown while Smith completed 16-of-26 tosses for 145 yards and two scores.

Unlike the game in the air, the running game appears very solid for the Blue Devils. Franks said the offensive line has improved significantly, something he attributes to both new line coach Rich McGeorge and that many of the players have added pounds. If all goes well, better blocking will open up room for junior Chris Douglas, the team's best offensive player last season.

The thunder to Douglas' lightning is junior fullback Alex Wade. Franks was effusive in his praise of Wade and mentioned that he could take some carries away from Douglas. Wade had 45 yards and one touchdown on six carries in Monday?s scrimmage.

"Being able to have two guys who are vastly different like those two guys could be a good weapon for us," Franks said.

Life on the other side of the ball is also bright, he added.

The defense is marked by a significant change: The move of junior Ryan Fowler, last season?s best defensive player, from outside linebacker to middle linebacker. The change was made to make the team quicker and deeper. So far it appears to be successful, with Fowler adjusting easily to his new position.

"The defense is a lot more aggressive [this year]," Fowler said. "There's a different attitude. A point of emphasis was to bring more speed to the field, and I think we've done that successfully."

Franks also addressed the nation-worst 23-game losing streak, noting that it did not dominate the team's thoughts and words.

"It's something that exists, and that we deal with, but it's not something we spend a great deal talking about," Franks said. "I hope the team uses it for motivation."

Franks added that his job's rewards derived from more than just wins on the field, and that the chance to give two walk-on players, Mark Thompson and Matt Brooks, scholarships this year was an emotional highlight in his tenure at Duke.

"One of the most enjoyable, satisfying moments that we had last spring was when I told the team that I was going to give those guys scholarships," the coach said. "The reaction of the team was one that made you feel really good."

Share and discuss “Dapolito, Smith to compete for starting QB job” on social media.