Blue Devils again optimistic as season approaches

After consecutive 0-11 seasons, one question overshadows any other changes--including the new quarterback--the football team has made in the offseason.

Can Duke win a game this year?

With a 23 game losing streak and a 12-game schedule this season, failure to do so would result in Duke breaking the NCAA all-time loss record, currently 34, held by the Northwestern Wildcats that played from 1979-82.

Per tradition, Duke faces arch rival North Carolina in its final game of the season. Should the Blue Devils drop their first 11 games, no one will enjoy handing Duke its hat--and the record--more than the Tar Heels in the 12th.

"Winning that first game will feel great--we'll walk around campus with our heads a little higher--but you can't lose perspective that that's not good enough," said linebacker Jaymon Small, the team's lone senior. "I'd love to celebrate eight victories, or a lot more than just one.... Hopefully I can be a part of doing that."

The elusive win may be harder to come by this year. Not only are the Blue Devils faced with a tougher ACC than in years past, but they also have a difficult non-conference slate. After facing East Carolina Saturday, Duke plays preseason top-20 squad Louisville before traveling to Evanston, Ill., to take on Northwestern.

In the ACC, No. 5 FSU will be tougher after an off year, and last year's champion, Maryland, as well N.C. State, UNC, Georgia Tech and Clemson, all have legitimate postseason shots.

However, the Blue Devils' best chance for a win is probably against Navy. Just like Duke, the Midshipmen are coming off a winless season, and the Sept. 28 matchup could make or break Duke's season.

Where a win would get the proverbial monkey off the Blue Devils' back, a loss could damage morale and send Duke reeling into Hall of Shame oblivion.

"I can't speak for everyone but I haven't really thought about it in that sense," linebacker Ryan Fowler said. "What happens is after a losing season like that everyone gets down, but then with the summer and the new season coming up everyone gets excited again."

To get their first win in three seasons, the Blue Devils must show drastic improvement on the offensive side of the ball. Last year Duke averaged almost three turnovers a game, and this season they will be challenged to improve on that number while also dealing with the common mistakes of whichever new quarterback--either of sophomores Chris Dapolito and Adam Smith--head coach Carl Franks chooses.

Adding to their inexperience, the Blue Devils will also have to deal without the services tight end Nick Brzezinski, who tore the anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments in his left knee and will be out for the season. Brzezinski, who said he was due to have surgery in a about three weeks, saw some action last season and was due to replace All-ACC tight end Mike Hart who graduated last year. The injury only adds to Duke's on-field inexperience.

On the positive side, the Blue Devils return their best offensive player from last season, running back Chris Douglas. Complimenting the Sherrills Ford, N.C., native is fullback Alex Wade, who Franks said has improved tremendously since last season. If Douglas can improve on his 841-yard, seven-touchdown season, and the Blue Devils can keep teams guessing by utilizing Wade, the combination should relieve the young quarterback of some pressure.

"I feel very confident in our running backs and I believe our offensive line is going to play very well," Franks said. "But just like most things, we've got to go prove it."

On the defensive side, the addition of defensive coordinator Ted Roof has been a huge plus for the program. Roof, who brings experience from a plethora of schools, most recently Georgia Tech, has concentrated on making the defense quicker, a move that centers around Duke's best defender, Ryan Fowler.

Fowler, who was previously playing outside linebacker, was moved to the middle slot so he can work both sides of the field better. Joining him in anchoring the defense are Jaymon Small, the team's lone senior, and former minor league baseball player Jim Scharrer.

However, regardless of Duke's situation on either side of the ball, this season, it is all about getting at least one "w."

"Our team will reflect my attitude more than anything else," Franks said. "If I've got an attitude that they say, 'Hey coach feels pretty good about us, he's got confidence in us,' then I believe that they will exhibit that kind of attitude."

Share and discuss “Blue Devils again optimistic as season approaches” on social media.