On the record with Coach K

On June 23, Chronicle Sports Editor Paul Doran sat down for an exclusive one-on-one interview with men1s basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski. Here are excerpts from that discussion:

On his hip replacement surgery

3I really am doing great. It has been just about three months now and I feel like it1s mine. I can1t do bunjee jumping or anything, but I1m even and I haven1t been even for about five years. I feel great.2

On Chris Duhon

3I think in Duhon we have a kid that can be a leader for us.... He1ll have a impact, how he works, what he does on and off the court, everthing will serve as an example for these kids. He has a tremendous opportunity to have as big an impact on a team as you can have as a player.2

On next year1s so-called rebuilding season

3There won1t be anything about rebuilding. First of all, no one will write that because we1re Duke.... I don1t want any cop-outs because of youth or inexperience or things like that. It1s one of those times where as a Duke fan you actually get to watch something being built.2

On the turnover rate in college basketball

3That1s one of the interesting things about coaching. When Avery left we didn1t know Jason Williams was going to be Jason Williams or after his first two years we didn1t know that Battier was going to turn out to be one of the best players ever to play college basketball. Certainly in the May or June of Battier1s sophomore year, no one would have predicted that group would win a national championship two years later.2

On the change to coaching a younger team

3The last two years when we walked on the court, everyone thought we should win, and we were graded by how much we won by. This year, this team will have an opportunity to win and lose like a lot of team. If we do win we put ourselves in a position to be in the tournament, and who knows what will happen.2

On the incoming class

3We1re really pleased. They1re all gym rats, they like to play basketball, and they all want to be good. They came here not knowing that Dunleavy was going pro.... They didn1t come here like OI1m going to start, I1m going to be a star and I1m going.1 From a player1s perspective, whether it1s freshmen or upperclassmen, the fact that there1s opportunity is exciting.2

On the returning players

3For Duhon there1s the opportunity to just have his team. For Dahntay, I think that Dahntay was always looking to see if I should let someone else shoot it, I think there1s the chance to have more freedom. For Daniel Ewing, who had an outstading freshman year, it1s, OOkay they need me.1 For Casey, Nick, these guys they1re looking for playing time.2

On the team without Dunleavy

3It puts us in a position where we might have been too dependent on Mike, guys could defer to him.... Now there is no one to defer to so they1re not even thinking about it. So I think that1s good, and my belief is that these kids are going to step up some how, I just don1t know who and when.2

On next year

3I don1t know what to anticipate for next year. Its a little bit like it was few years ago when Corey and William and Elton [left]. I1m not sure anybody1s had three upperclassmen leave except for us. I don1t think anyone1s had it twice in four years.... I think we1ll be a good team, but how we1re going to do it, I1m not sure yet.2

Share and discuss “On the record with Coach K” on social media.