Study abroad to face small drop

Despite a long-anticipated decrease in next year's study abroad enrollment, the numbers show a far less decisive trend--only about 50 fewer Duke students will leave the country next fall.

Fall enrollment numbers for individual programs are not yet available, but Riley said 394 students are planning to study abroad in the fall, compared to about 450 last year.

Margaret Riley, assistant dean for study abroad, attributed the approximately 13 percent decrease in fall enrollment to numerous factors, including the Sept. 11 attacks, the economy, a smaller-sized Class of 2004 and a new, less conveniently located study abroad office.

"[Sept. 11] certainly has an impact," Riley said. "One thing that people have talked about is looking at what is perceived to be a safe location."

Safety precautions continue to be among the office's top priorities.

"We have emphasized to people that they shouldn't draw attention to themselves as far as being American," said Mavis Mayer, administrative coordinator of the Asian/Pacific Studies Institute. "We have told them not to spend time at places Americans usually frequent that have a reputation of attracting foreigners. They are there to study, and we encourage them to immerse themselves in the native culture."

Another dissuading factor may be the new housing policy that makes students who decide to study abroad ineligible for the regular housing-selection process, Riley said.

As Curriculum 2000 may make it more difficult for students to study abroad and still fulfill their matrices, Riley said undergraduates may be shifting their study abroad opportunities from the academic year to their summers. However, she added that most students are on target to fulfill their requirements and because students can gain foreign language credit abroad, she doubted that stricter guidelines deterred many students from studying abroad.

This summer's study abroad enrollment increased to 324 students, of which 235 are Duke students--a 20-student increase from last year. Riley also said distribution among summer programs changed significantly.

The China, Greece, Oxford and South Africa programs all added at least 10 students this summer, while the Russia trip lost 11.

Mayer said she was surprised by the increased interest in the Duke in China program. She said that the perception that China is safe caused the jump from 21 students to 39 this year.

Associate Professor of Cultural Anthropology Lee Baker, who is currently in Ghana with 10 Duke students, said summer programs can create unique opportunities for students.

"In some respects, they get all of the benefits of studying abroad without the commitment of time," Baker wrote in an e-mail.

"Moreover, it is very intense and every day is quite literally an adventure."

Share and discuss “Study abroad to face small drop” on social media.