Roberts to take on greater role

Taking on a larger role in the University's strategic plan initiatives, Jim Roberts has been promoted to executive vice provost for finance and administration, Provost Peter Lange announced this week. In his new position, which adds "executive" to his previous title, he will assume responsibility in space planning, management and allocation.

Roberts will coordinate communication and make the provost's office the entry point for academic facilities administration, construction planning and space allocation at an earlier stage in the planning process than it currently is.

"In developing [the strategic plan] Building on Excellence, it became clear that space at Duke is an undermanned resource," Lange wrote in a e-mail. "[Roberts] will be responsible for managing the pre-approval process for academic space data to ensure there is real need when we expand facilities and that we allocate space effectively."

Roberts has worked in the provost's office for 15 years, and he said his job will largely remain the same.

"They really added a nice beginning word to indicate a somewhat broader set of responsibilities," he said. "A lot of my job isn't going to change, but I'm very pleased to have the opportunity to move into a couple of new areas."

In addition to space planning, Roberts will also oversee collaboration with Student Affairs and maintain various student services in his new role.

"He will make student services more one-stop," Vice President for Student Affairs Larry Moneta said. "Together we will think about how to make a more seamless operation."

Roberts has an MBA from the Fuqua School of Business and a doctorate in European history from Stanford University.

Share and discuss “Roberts to take on greater role” on social media.