Bunkaa: Brought to You by the Letter "E"

Get ready for the soundtrack to your life. It's music that spreads through your head and seeps through your thoughts. It's liquid-like sound that rushes and rolls, throbbing with a steady and thumping pulse. It's Bunkaa, the 10th album of Yber-DJ Paul Oakenfold, and if you listen to the 11 tracks even once, you'll understand addiction.

Paul Oakenfold's been rocking the suburbs--and the cities and the small clubbing paradise islands--for more than a decade now. Recently named the World's Best DJ by Rolling Stone, he's produced cuts for U2 and written soundtracks for major motion pictures (Swordfish, most recently). Oakenfold even holds a Guinness world record, as the world's most successful DJ. He summers with the jet set in Ibiza and moves the masses in London's hotspot, Ministry of Sound.

But while Oakenfold's got a few good notches slashed into his Euro-scene belt, he's still got a lot to prove. Past albums like Fluoro and Another World relied heavily on remixes and borrowed sounds; marking Bunkaa as the first time that Mr. DJ put his own record on. While he has some help from celebs like Ice Cube and Nelly Furtado (whose vocals shimmer in the album's only remix, "Harder They Come"), the stuff is mostly original, and mostly damn good.

In Bunkaa's first track, "Ready Steady Go," melodies wrap around each other before wrapping around you, and suddenly you realize, youOre trapped. ItOs liquid-like music with mesmerizing fits and starts, perfect for popping in the car stereo. Another song, "Hold Your Hand," sounds sleepy and slinky; fabulous for early morning treks to the gym. And "Southern Sun" boasts a beat that sneaks up on the music and ends up dancing across the song. Use it in your bedroom before some movie snags it for a steamy scene.

This is music you canOt shut off. It is simply that good. If you need a new groove for your summer, pick up Bunkaa, just push play, then hope the batteries in your Walkman are fresh--youOll want to listen to this one for a long, long time.

Share and discuss “Bunkaa: Brought to You by the Letter "E"” on social media.