AFI: Summer Love and Brando's Nuts

On June 11 the countdown-happy American Film Institute presented its list of the 100 greatest romances of 20th-century film. The stuffed shirts at the AFI called their self-promotionathon 100 Years... 100 Passions, and they packed it with an eclectic mix of classics, tearjerkers and pure fluff. It may have been the beginning of a beautiful friendship, but Casablanca was also the end of a very lackluster countdown. Here are some notes that the AFI forgot to consider when picking these movies out of a hat:

97 GREASE: I liked it until I saw Olivia Newton John's video for "Physical."

93 DIRTY DANCING: Patrick SwayzeOs greatest career moment next to Ghost... and the SNL skit where he auditions to become a ChippendaleOs dancer with Chris Farley.

48 LAST TANGO IN PARIS: Any film featuring a naked Marlon Brando should come with a warning label and a magnifying glass.

37 TITANIC: It may still be king of the box office, but before Episode II stole the crown, it was also king of gag-worthy love dialogue.

24 KING KONG: ItOs always been a fantasy of mine to be felt up by a giant gorilla. Oh, just thinking about his strong hands makes me tingly.

16 SINGIN' IN THE RAIN: Comedienne Anne Meara said it best: "The real romance in this film is between Gene Kelly and the lamp post." The science of that just canOt be comfortable.

But weOll always have Paris....

Share and discuss “AFI: Summer Love and Brando's Nuts” on social media.