Police introduce radar patrols

Drivers may not be able to race down Campus Drive anymore, as the Duke University Police Department institutes patrols equipped with radar to catch speeders.

Earlier this month, Duke police began using radars to monitor speeding drivers across campus, but have not yet begun issuing citations for speed limit violations. Last November, they purchased six radar units costing approximately $1,200 each.

Executive Vice President Tallman Trask said the police force purchased the radars because of long-time concern over speeding on campus, especially as the University plans to become more pedestrian- and cyclist-friendly.

"Our campus is becoming more pedestrian-oriented with road closings and major building projects underway that force us to evaluate the manner in which we move about campus," Duke Police Chief Clarence Birkhead said. "We cannot allow speeders to jeopardize the safety of cyclists, pedestrians and other motorists."

Birkhead said that although police have not yet issued speeding tickets, they could begin doing so at any time. He added that the new campaign's aim was to target drivers traveling at speeds significantly higher than the speed limit.

"We're not going to be going after those who are six, seven, eight or even 10 miles above the speed limit," he said. "But we will be ticketing those grossly violating the speed limit."

However, the citations issued will be state tickets--unlike prior moving violations, which could be billed to student accounts. Birkhead said the average fine will be about $100.

He added that police will focus radar use on Campus Drive, Anderson Street, Towerview Road and to a lesser extent on Oregon Street and Erwin Road. Officers have to be trained to use the new equipment and must pass an exam to operate the radars. Currently, only 10 officers are certified.

"Officers will not be stationed in any particular area," Birkhead said in a prepared statement. "Rather, officers will remain mobile on patrol and operate the radar units while in motion. The units we purchased can be operated in both a stationary or mobile mode."

So far this month, officers have trained with the new equipment and stopped violators both as a deterrent and to collect data about where people speed.

"We plan on doing our own media campaign closer to when more people are getting back for the fall semester," he said. "We want to give the community adjustment time so they are used to seeing police out with radars."

Junior Mary Leah Singletary said she questioned the need for the radars on campus. "I think that if they begin to pull people they should increase the speed limit to 35," Singletary said. "Thirty-five is the speed limit within cities and it is not a fast speed. I do think it is appropriate they pull someone going 55 because that is too fast for a college campus."

Share and discuss “Police introduce radar patrols” on social media.