From Magic Shirts, To Everyday Objects

A little of the Ottoman Empire intrigue has been brought to a show at the North Carolina Museum of Art in Raleigh. Empire of the Sultans, running through July 28, includes religious, military, ceramic, woven and written pieces--with many rare examples throughout the offerings.

One of the most striking pieces is a magic shirt worn into battle by an Ottoman soldier. The shirt is adorned with verses of the Quran, prayers, the name of God and invocations to the fourth Caliph, 'Ali, arranged in a mathematical fashion. The shirt was believed to protect the wearer from death in battle.

John Coffey, curator of the exhibition, noted that Ottoman soldiers were particularly susceptible to this type of superstition because of the difficult war conditions during that period.

Other pieces of interest from the collection of Ottoman war pieces include helmets from various parts of the expansive empire and protective head gear for horses--including one of only four in existence that was used during religious processions from Egypt to Mecca.

Calligraphy demonstrates the Muslim influence in Ottoman art. Religious figures are not depicted in Sunni artwork; therefore, calligraphy and other types of decorative design became the tool of expression.

The exhibition includes examples of hand copied Qurans from the past 500 years. The books are opened to pages of important passages adorned with beautifully intricate calligraphy and leaf designs. Other examples of calligraphy in the show include diplomas of renowned Ottoman scribes, a book of poetry by Jalaleddin Rumi and a calligraphic lion formed from invocations to 'Ali by Ahmed Hilimi in 1458.

Another spiritually significant piece is a cenotaph cover from the tomb of the Prophet. The woven silk and satin have the shahaadah inscribed on them, proclaiming "There is no God but God."

Chinese trade had a strong influence on the ceramics industry, which was based in Iznik. Rulers ordered pieces made to supplement their collections of Chinese ceramics because the cost of imported ceramics was prohibitive for daily use. The homegrown industry provided cheaper--but no less beautiful--alternatives. Many of the pieces are close copies of Chinese designs.

Persian influence, not surprisingly, can be seen in many of the rugs displayed from the Ottoman Empire. By far the most spectacular is a 500-year-old carpet in excellent condition with star-shaped designs.

The museum is open 9am to 5pm Tuesday-Saturday and 10am to 5pm Sunday. Admission for the exhibit is $7.50 for adults, $5.50 for students--and well worth it.

Share and discuss “From Magic Shirts, To Everyday Objects” on social media.