Recent graduates find success in Raleigh design firm

A philosophy major designing websites? It's probably the last thing you would expect at a school where technology seems to reside exclusively on Science Drive. But the accomplishments of Jesse Lipson, Trinity '00, and his growing firm novelProjects shows success is possible with a little effort and ingenuity.

When he graduated from Duke, Lipson had little idea where the future might take him; but he landed a job at an Internet startup company, realizing that web design was a long-standing interest he might want to pursue in the future.

After working on several freelance design projects with his girlfriend, then-Duke junior Brooks Bell, he decided he could take his work to the next level.

"I felt there was a really big market in [Research Triangle Park] for a new design company that was detail-oriented, that would be committed to serving clients," Lipson explained.

It was then--just over a year ago--that novelProjects was born in an office in downtown Raleigh, with Lipson as CEO.

Bell, now senior designer for novelProjects, helped Lipson found the company while she was still pursuing her undergraduate degree. She said a final project for a graphic design class sparked her interest in web design and made the possibility of turning it into a career more real.

Lipson and Bell initially concentrated on design-oriented work, rather than programming. It was the addition of two computer science majors to novelProjects' team this past year, both also Duke alumni, that allowed the company to expand its focus.

All four of novelProjects' current employees were friends while they studied at Duke, even living in the same house for a year. Their friendship, Bell explained, is a key element to the company's success.

"Each new employee that comes in changes things dramatically," she said. "We were terrified to hire someone new. But hiring friends, we knew they would care as much as we did and want to put as much as we did into the company."

The handful of steady clients for which novelProjects acts as webmaster, about half of which are located in and around RTP, include Maverick Marketing, MDeverywhere and the Duke Divinity School's Institute for Care at the End of Life, as well as various advertising agencies in the area.

Although the goal is eventually to expand novelProjects, Lipson said, he is enjoying life at a small business. An intimate, friendly atmosphere has allowed for what clients like Ben Feldman of MDeverywhere say is a genuine, motivated involvement in each project the company takes on.

"They are extremely proactive. Once they understand the business goals, they offer technical suggestions to improve the strategy, instead of waiting for us to come up with ideas," Feldman said. "Other designers we have had do something once they let it sit there for months. novelProjects is always looking to innovate."

Many clients had nothing but praise to add, as novelProjects' portfolio continues to expand. Institute for Care at the End of Life employee Kathryn Kerr said she was excited about the Duke alumni's work. "Their obvious talent, enthusiasm and confidence got our attention, but it's all that combined with their professionalism that motivates us to continue the relationship," she said.

Share and discuss “Recent graduates find success in Raleigh design firm” on social media.