Oh, You're Too Kind!

Here at Recess, we're tough critics, but when we like 'em, we love 'em. Disregard the nasty quips and biting sarcasm and feel the lovage, baby. After all, this is Duke--A's are easy to come by.

Kelly McVicker, on Norah Jones' Come Away With Me: "Perhaps in some far-off place, they have words to describe a voice like this. But after trying for three days here in the good old U.S. of A., I'm still coming up short. Call it heavenly, honey-dipped, sultry, smoldering or whatever--let's just say Norah Jones' voice is one of the more beautiful things you could ever hope to fall upon your ears.... She's only 22, but her voice alone could probably get her a discount at the movies and cheap coffee at McDonald's."

David Walters, on Jump, Little Children's Vertigo: "...[T]he ensemble never falls short of spectacular, creating an intricate arrangement of harmony-driven power ballads and stunningly euphonic instrumentation. And speaking of instruments--these boys are multitalented and fond of some wildcards. Don't be surprised to hear accordions, cellos, harmonicas, mandolins and tin whistles--it's a musical grab bag, and it's beautiful.

Patrick Hourani, on the martial-arts dancefom Capoeira: "It's euphoric and dangerous, like riding a bike for the first time.... I flow within the game, like the music flows, like our kicks and our maneuvers flow, like Capoeira itself flows."

Greg Bloom, on ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of the Dead's Source Tags and Codes: "On Source Tags and Codes they prove they can do it, and after hearing this album, it's no longer possible to say their name in anything but hushed and solemn tones. You do know them, and the trail of dead is long and gruesome--would-be messiahs of the return of rock like The Strokes, At The Drive-In and The White Stripes lie slaughtered in the fields, guitar strings busted and drum sets scattered like kindling."

Faran Krentcil, on, umm, bottled water: "Leave Evian for the naive. Check out the new bottled water, one that's not only vapor distilled but also seasoned with fruit. That's right, with Glaceau's American launch, you can enjoy six new flavors of water, including Dragonfly fruit, peach ginseng, grapefruit cranberry, earl green tea and my favorite, lemon ginger. The water is zero calorie, super-trendy and often spotted next to a pair of little black pants. Made in Canada, the stuff proclaims to be "the best drink you've ever had," and strangely enough, it could be."

Share and discuss “Oh, You're Too Kind!” on social media.