Offensive fliers represent unacceptable behavior

Like most members of the Duke community, I was truly disappointed to learn about the "Crocker Sack" fliers posted on East Campus a few weeks ago. This puerile attempt at humor was not just an offensive, racist and obscene joke: It also broke faith with our community by maliciously attacking black employees in a way that is inimical to a civil society. First-year female students were also targeted with silly sexist comments, but not by name, as some of our employees were.

It would be good to learn that the people who anonymously perpetrated this so-called "joke" were not Duke students, but evidence suggests otherwise. The weak "apology" that followed would have carried more weight had it not been, like the original fliers, anonymous.

I do not think the campus administration ought to respond every time a stupid and intolerant person says something stupid and intolerant. But in this instance, I've been concerned by reports that some students, at least, do not "get it" about why this behavior is unacceptable at Duke; thus, I wanted to share a few thoughts on this situation.

First, among the core values of our community are civility, inclusiveness and integrity. These values have nothing to do with "political correctness" and everything to do with living together respectfully as human beings.

Second, thinking people can and often do disagree, and intelligent, articulated differences of opinion in the clash of ideas contribute to the ongoing education of all of us. But the personal attacks that appeared on East Campus have little to do with freedom of speech; instead, they test our values because they single out innocent individuals and insult them with taunts based on group identity. We should not expect or accept such behavior.

Third, I was relieved and grateful to see how seriously and compassionately many Duke students and employees responded to the publication. Many people reached out to the employees in the Marketplace who were singled out for this unkind and unfair attack. I especially commend the members of the student affairs multicultural working group and the many thoughtful undergraduates who have been working on student-employee relations in focus groups, through letters and meetings.

Finally, I want to thank those who routinely show kindness and respect for all the employees who work on campus every day to make the lives of students easier and better. It matters to them, and it matters to Duke.

Nan Keohane

President

Share and discuss “Offensive fliers represent unacceptable behavior” on social media.