New head line monitor fits with DSG's mission

I would like to thank those of you who have voiced some of your concerns about Duke Student Government, and I hope to address all of them and share my vision for next year. Regarding the head line monitor position, I chose my appointment based on three categories: managerial skills, people skills and tenting experience.

The goal of the 2002-2003 DSG administration is to proactively represent students on current issues through soliciting student input, fostering better communication and becoming a more efficient and effective organization in order to garner the respect of the student body. Our vice presidents are focusing on improving social options on campus, investigating undergraduate women issues, supporting student groups through funding and social space, improving student-employee relations, improving transportation and parking services and improving student safety both on and off campus.

The nomination of Jeremy Morgan as head line monitor fits in line with this mission. I talked to several students around campus before I made the nomination, and once they learned of Morgan's experience, students felt that he would do a great job. Morgan, currently the president of Sigma Nu fraternity, former CEO of Duke Devil's Delivery Service and co-chair of the Freshman Advisory Counselor board, has been very committed to many organizations on campus yet has only missed two home basketball games throughout his Duke career. This shows his strong knowledge and commitment to Duke basketball.

Furthermore, Morgan will have an application process for the line monitoring positions. I would like to publicly invite and strongly encourage all head line monitor applicants to put aside petty politics and join our team. It is important to me that DSG is open for all students to participate. Our intentions are the same--to make Krzyzewskiville the best for all students.

Since the year is drawing to an end, I would like to wish all the best of luck on exams, and congratulations to the seniors. Take care, and enjoy your summers.

Joshua Jean-Baptiste

Trinity '03

The writer is DSG president.

Share and discuss “New head line monitor fits with DSG's mission” on social media.