Futhey tackles technological needs

Sitting in her office, surrounded by the latest in computer hardware, Tracy Futhey described a campus where students, faculty members and staff lead more integrated with technology.

"I have noticed that there are pockets of technology everywhere, and I've noticed that there's a high level of interest in collaborating about those pockets," said Futhey, who last month became the University's new vice president for information technology and chief information officer.

In her new role, Futhey helps coordinate all campus computing initiatives, from getting faster Internet connections, to maintaining websites and improving support services. Since arriving from Carnegie Mellon University, Futhey said she has spent most of her time developing a vision for campus technology, especially academic computing.

Building on Excellence, the University's strategic plan, calls for technology initiatives to focus on academic needs.

With much of the organization in place for coordinating computing, administrators hope to focus on projects like distance learning, wireless expansion, classroom use of technology and research support.

"The knee-jerk reaction of a lot of IT officers is to take the easy way out, and so far Tracy seems to have the right instincts for not shying away from the challenges," said John Board, an associate professor of electrical and computer engineering who also serves on the Information Technology Advisory Committee, the group that advises the administration on technology initiatives.

For example, he said, students' file-sharing programs can greatly slow down many Internet connections used for research purposes. Some universities have banned the use of those programs or limited the speed of student connections, but Board said Futhey has taken a more innovative approach with an educational campaign to inform students of those effects.

On other issues as well, Futhey said she prefers a more pragmatic approach in trying to create what the strategic plan calls a Computer and Information Technology Intensified Environment. She said she understands the limits of technology when deciding on whether to have an undergraduate laptop requirement, when to use distance learning and how to encourage professors to use hardware.

Futhey said the University should not implement a laptop requirement just to say they have one. The administration postponed requiring laptops even though the strategic plan calls for one.

"On one hand there's clearly a benefit in just the statement, that technology is so important that we have a requirement," she said. "On the other hand, that statement creates the expectation that you will use the laptop every day, in every class, and that may not work across every discipline."

That desire for flexibility is guiding other initiatives as well. For example, although every course now has its own website using Blackboard technology, not every professor is required to use it. In addition, all graduate students are now required to take training sessions in instructional uses for technology, but professors are not.

Executive Vice President Tallman Trask said the new training session requirement points to the need for more discussion of CITIE initiatives.

"Fifteen years ago I could tell you what academic computing was. I can't tell you that anymore. We need to figure that out," Trask said.

Futhey said she hopes to lead those discussions and that the faculty, although hesitant at times, is willing to use technology if it means enhancing research and teaching.

Board agreed: "You can cite many schools where the IT administration will issue announcements where you have to buy this computer or this equipment. Duke has resisted that for a long time."

Share and discuss “Futhey tackles technological needs” on social media.