Councils receive integrity report

The Arts and Sciences and Engineering councils got their first peek at a proposal to revise the honor code at a joint meeting Thursday, which featured a presentation by Academic Integrity Council Chair Judith Ruderman.

The proposal, which Duke Student Government approved April 3, recommends the replacement of the honor code with a new Duke Community Standard that would govern both academic dishonesty and some types of misbehavior. The councils will vote on the proposal next month.

"This is indeed a modest proposal. Unlike Dr. Swift, we do believe we are proposing something relatively modest," said Ruderman, also vice provost for academic and administrative services.

Currently, Duke has three separate integrity codes, Ruderman explained. The honor code, which applies to undergraduates, was instituted in 1993 and covers academic dishonesty. The second, the Fundamental Standard, was added in 1996 to promote honesty, integrity and respect. The third, the judicial code, governs violations and sanctions.

"We liked that Fundamental Standard and we wanted to highlight its values," Ruderman said. "What we're trying to do is simplify and unify."

The proposal also includes several other changes. It recommends a more stringent obligation to report violations; elimination of the requirement for proctored exams; recognition of faculty-student adjudication; reconsideration of current excuse protocols; and a focus on graduate and professional student issues.

Faculty reaction to the proposal was varied, but most criticism took the form of suggestions.

The AIC has also recommended that greater gradation be added to judicial sanctions to reflect different types of offenses; currently, many different violations receive the same penalty. Faculty agreed that they needed a more specific idea of the proposed gradations be before voting on the proposal. "Aren't you saying that one lie is not as bad as another lie?" said Ida Simpson, professor of sociology.

There was also discussion about the motion regarding the dean's excuse policy, which the undergraduate Honor Council has sought to eliminate; the change would trust students to tell the truth about an excuse for a test or an exam, rather than forcing them to seek one from their dean. But Ruderman emphasized that the AIC's motion did not change the excuse policy but called for a re-examination of all excuse protocols.

IN OTHER NEWS: Richard White, professor of biology, filled in for Arts and Sciences Council Chair Ronald Witt, professor of history, who was in Arizona to receive an award.

Share and discuss “Councils receive integrity report” on social media.