City Council meeting focuses on concerns about crime

When Durham resident Jamie Cox told a co-worker about a rape that occurred in his neighborhood on March 7, he was shocked at her response: "Well, that's Durham."

Crime became the topic of debate at the City Council meeting Monday night, when Cox and other members of Partners Against Crime's District 2 division complained about a lack of police presence in their neighborhoods. Council members said they appreciated the residents' activism and would try to improve the area's safety.

Some residents said crime has increased since District 5 of PAC--which brings police, government officials and residents together at the neighborhood level--was created, luring away some officers previously devoted to District 2.

Residents from Trinity Park, which lies in District 2, said they think the lack of police surveillance led to a rape in March, two alleged rapes last weekend, as well as numerous petty crimes.

"The underlying obstacle here is that we have a response-driven police force. The police need to take a problem-solving approach," Durham resident Lori Harris said.

In addition to calling for a new plan of action for the Durham police, resident Frank Crigler said existing resources should be redistributed.

Newman Aguiar, co-chair of PAC 2, recommended ways for the City Council to improve his area's safety.

"Resources should be reallocated in the next budget cycle.... Also, the city should require police officers to rise above being call-driven," said Aguiar, adding that safety is a primary responsibility of the City Council.

Residents also said they are worried that new development near the Streets at Southpoint mall would increase the police burden.

"Before growth takes place in Durham, we need to ensure that we have the required resources and infrastructure," Aguiar said.

Steven Chalmers, interim Durham police chief, told residents his department plans to study the distribution of police resources and would issue a progress report within 30 days.

City Council member Howard Clement said he was pleased to see residents energized about the issue.

"I commend these folks for taking some action," Clement said. "Things are happening in these neighborhoods that we shouldn't tolerate."

Safety was a top concern at the council's recent retreat, said City Council member John Best. He said the city could increase police visibility in the short term by requiring officers to take the long way to and from work by driving through District 2.

IN OTHER BUSINESS: City Council members fielded questions from residents concerned about the possible relocation of USA Baseball and the revenue the organization would bring to Durham. They also discussed a possible rewrite of a land use map for the area on the north side of U.S. Highway 70. And they examined rezoning issues and fiscal year action plans.

Share and discuss “City Council meeting focuses on concerns about crime” on social media.