Blue Devils choose Duhon, Dunleavy as co-captains

Although the 2001-2002 men's basketball season just ended, preparations for the 2002-2003 are already underway.

Junior forward Mike Dunleavy, who served as a tri-captain alongside soon-to-be NBA draft picks Jason Williams and Carlos Boozer this past season, was named as a co-captain for the next installment of the Blue Devils. Dunleavy will be joined in his role as co-captain by sophomore point guard Chris Duhon, who emerged as the team's floor general toward the end of the season.

"They both have exhibited, over the past couple of years, great leadership ability, so we're fortunate to have a junior and a senior lead next year's squad," said associate head coach Johnny Dawkins. "They'll do a terrific job."

In what has become a customary April event, Duke's two new captains were chosen by their teammates at the conclusion of the season. Last season, Dunleavy and Williams were announced as co-captains at the team's annual end-of-year banquet. Krzyzewski then added Boozer as a third captain in February.

In his first season as captain, Dunleavy averaged 17.3 points, 7.2 rebounds and 2.3 steals per game, earning him first-team All-America honors from the Basketball Times and the National Association of Basketball Coaches. Meanwhile, Duhon averaged 8.9 points , 5.9 assists and 2.3 steals per game, was named to the All-ACC Defensive team and was credited as an honorable mention All-ACC performer.

But Dawkins said that Duhon's leadership qualities, not necessarily his statistics and accolades, served as the basis for the Slidell, La. native's selection as a co-captain.

"He's become a lot more vocal," Dawkins said. "He's always led by his actions on the floor--he's a terrific competitor--but he's starting to add the component of his voice. He has such a great voice--people follow him and they listen to what he has to say."

Share and discuss “Blue Devils choose Duhon, Dunleavy as co-captains” on social media.