Blue Devils capture Cal Cup victory

Living up to its first national ranking, the 17th-ranked Duke rowing team outpaced the Cal Cup field at the 29th annual San Diego Crew Classic for its first-ever win in the event.

Duke's victory was not surprising against the weaker field, none of whom ranked in the top 20. However, besting the second-place Massachusetts Minutemen by over six seconds for the Cal Cup Sunday afternoon certainly was unexpected.

"We knew we could win," varsity-eight rower Amelia Booth said, "but we didn't expect the final margin to be so big."

Duke began the regatta with a blistering 6:51 Saturday heat, leaving Minnesota four seconds behind. The rest of the field, including San Diego, San Diego State, UCLA, Santa Clara and Long Beach State, failed to break the seven-minute mark. Duke led the entire race, building on its one-second lead after the first 500 meters.

In Sunday's Grand Final, the Blue Devil rowers fell behind early. Massachusetts led by over a second with 1,500 meters to go, followed by Southern Methodist and Minnesota, with Duke in fourth. However, the Blue Devils stepped up the pace to record the fastest 500-meter split of the race. Duke's 1:37.55 mark shaved five seconds off the Blue Devils' previous 500-meter time and put them ahead for good.

"I am extremely proud of this group," coach Robyn Horner said. "They went out and dominated the field and had a great race."

Horner had good reason to be proud. Duke's first Cal Cup win followed respectable finishes the past four years in San Diego. However, this year-after gaining experience by competing in the invitation-only Jessop-Whittier Cup for the past two years because of its strong field-the Blue Devils could concentrate on winning rather than just competing.

Duke last rowed in the Cal Cup three years ago during the team's inaugural season. Although the Blue Devils' only boat placed fifth in the third heat three years ago, Duke returned this year to take top honors.

"Considering where the program was four years ago," senior Maren Betts-Sonstegard said, "I never would have believed we could have gotten to this point."

For her part, Booth looked to more recent history for signs of how far the team has come.

"Last year we were more tentative and didn't go out as aggressively as we did this year," she said. "This season we're more confident in our racing. We're more apt to push for the win rather than just hang on to someone."

Share and discuss “Blue Devils capture Cal Cup victory” on social media.