Women's tennis dominates Illinois in Sheffield 6-1

All season long, the No. 35 Illinois women's tennis team's (7-6) strength has been indoor play, while No. 4 Duke's (8-1) weakness has been its doubles play. Sunday, however, proved to be an abnormal day for both teams, as Duke won the doubles matches 2-1 en route to a dominating 6-1 victory inside Sheffield Indoor Tennis Center.

The Blue Devils' Amanda Johnson and Susie Abromeit began doubles play by defeating Kate Boomershine and Tiffany Eklov (8-4). The doubles point was then secured by Katie Granson and Kelly McCain with their win over Eva Choe and Jennifer McGaffigan (8-6). The Illini's Cynthia Goulet and Michelle Webb accounted for Duke's only doubles loss in their defeat of Hillary Adams and Julie DeRoo (8-4).

Duke coach Jamie Ashworth attributed the newfound doubles success by finally finding the right combination of players.

"We tried some new doubles teams," Ashworth said. "It was something we had been struggling with. We played pretty good. We're going to keep these teams for the next few weeks and see what happens."

The Blue Devils quickly capitalized on its doubles momentum, as No. 4 McCain defeated McGaffigan, 6-1, 6-3, and No. 25 Amanda Johnson achieved a 6-3, 6-2 decision over Cynthia Goulet at the Nos. 1 and 2 positions in singles competition.

"One and two won really quick," Ashworth said. "As soon as we won those two matches, we kind of took the air out of Illinois."

The rest of the Blue Devils followed suit with Ioana Plesu defeating Eva Choe (6-2, 6-2), Granson winning against Kate Boomershine (6-3, 4-6, 10-8) and Saras Arasu triumphing over Eldina Fazlic (6-3, 6-3).

"I think everyone fought hard," Arasu said. "We adjusted well to [Illinois]."

Even in Duke's only singles loss, the Blue Devils found more positives than negatives. DeRoo was defeated by Eklov 7-5, 6-2 at the four spot, but it was a remarkable effort considering that it was her first match in several weeks because of a back injury.

"I think it was a really good effort for [DeRoo] just to play," McCain said. "She's trying her hardest to be there for the team. She's doing a great favor to the team."

Ashworth was happy with DeRoo's return as well. He feels that his team will not reach its potential without her on the court, whether she is 100 percent or not.

The Blue Devils' future looks bright, and the team will next compete against Pepperdine March 10 in Malibu, Calif.

"We're getting better every time," Ashworth said. "The biggest thing is going outside and playing matches."

Share and discuss “Women's tennis dominates Illinois in Sheffield 6-1” on social media.