Women's lacrosse hopes to knock off No. 1 Terps

The Duke women's lacrosse team begins its home season today against ACC rival Maryland, ranked No. 1 in the Lacrosse Magazine preseason poll, at 7 p.m. in Koskinen Stadium. Despite the fact that Duke has lost all but one of its seven matchups against Maryland, the team remains optimistic and knows this game will be anything but predictable, since both teams have lost many of their strongest players from last season.

"It's going to be a really interesting game because I think both teams have a lot of question marks," Blue Devils coach Kerstin Kimel said. "We just have to play our game, be consistent, take good care of the ball, make the most of our possession and play solid defense. I think if we do these things, then we'll do fine."

No player on the current Duke team has ever tasted victory over Maryland--the last win for the Blue Devils was a 1998 upset at home. Last season, Duke lost to the Terps 18-11 in an early match and then 15-12 in the ACC Championships. Maryland went on to win its seventh national championship last year.

The Blue Devils (1-0) are coming off Tuesday's victory against Virginia Tech and hold the No. 2 ranking in the Lacrosse Magazine preseason poll after a 15-4 season in 2001--the best in Duke women's lacrosse history.

2001 certainly had its high points, but senior co-captain Claire Sullivan anticipates more during her final season.

"I want it to be the greatest season of my life, and of Duke lacrosse history," said the Washington, D.C., native. "We've already had some bumps in the road but I think that could make it more special."

One such bump was the loss of three-time All-American Kate Kaiser, who tore her ACL during the second practice in January and will have to sit out the rest of the season. The loss of Kaiser is disappointing for the team, but Kimel disagrees with those who have said the absence will cost them a good season.

"I think that's totally unfair to the rest of these players that work really hard and are great players," Kimel said.

Another challenge that the team will face is rebounding after a disappointing second-round loss in last year's NCAA Tournament to Loyola.

"We, every year, expect and desire to be competitive for a national championship," Kimel said. "The last three years, we've been able to meet those expectations,"

The Terrapins are looking to continue a 43-game winning streak. They are looking to the leadership of Australia native Courtney Hobbs, the senior captain who is an All-America candidate. Maryland graduated eight starters from last season, including two All-Americans.

However, the last time they lost so much--in 1998 when they graduated seven--they went on to win the national championship.

After playing Duke today, Maryland faces UNC on Sunday at 1 pm. Duke also will play again Sunday at home against Johns Hopkins.

Share and discuss “Women's lacrosse hopes to knock off No. 1 Terps” on social media.