Women's basketball enjoys playing close to home

The Duke women's basketball program and its fans have fond memories of the last time the Blue Devils played the regional round of the NCAA Tournament in the Tar Heel State.

Three years ago in Greensboro, Duke stormed past Old Dominion and narrowly defeated powerhouse Tennessee, earning a spot in the Final Four, and eventually the national championship game.

This year, as the top seed in the East region, Duke will be playing even closer to home. And although the players are different, the result could very well be the same.

Saturday afternoon, the Blue Devils will go head-to-head with No. 14 Texas at Raleigh's Entertainment and Sports Arena. If Duke defeats the Longhorns, it will play again Monday evening for a chance to travel to San Antonio for the Final Four.

"We're very excited to be playing at the ESA," coach Gail Goestenkors said. "It's something that we've been shooting for all year long, hoping we would have the opportunity to play there. Now it's finally here, and the time is now to play our game. Hopefully we'll have a big crowd there supporting us.

"We treated [Greensboro in 1999] like it was our home site and the crowd was fantastic and really helped us through. So we're hoping for similar results this year."

Junior Michele Matyasovsky, who is playing in her third Sweet 16, relishes the chance to play close to home, not just because of the crowd support, but because it also eliminates the fatigue that often comes with travel and being in an unfamiliar atmosphere.

Last year, the Blue Devils traveled across the country for a Sweet 16 matchup against Southwest Missouri State, a game Duke lost.

Adequate rest could be especially important for a Duke team that dresses just eight players. Having only three players on the bench has not really derailed the Blue Devils in the midst of their 20-game win streak, leaving them one win shy of tying the single-season school record. In fact, it has even helped improve the team's chemistry and mental conditioning.

"For us to go undefeated in the ACC and not let the fact that we have eight [players] affect our game in any way, I think we've proved a lot of people wrong," sophomore Iciss Tillis said. "We've gone against all odds. And now our goal is to make the Final Four and win the championship.

"I think this is the best team I've ever played on in my life, and I've played on some great teams. This team is by far the best because of its mental focus. I don't think I've ever played on a team where everyone is so mentally focused and prepared for the task at hand. This is NCAA time--you lose and you go home. And I think that's on everyone's mind."

Equally on the minds of the Blue Devils is a November overtime loss to South Carolina at Cameron Indoor Stadium. If all goes accordingly, Duke will have a chance for revenge against the Gamecocks Monday night--as if playing so close to home in front of a home crowd with the chance to advance to the Final Four is not enough motivation already.

Share and discuss “Women's basketball enjoys playing close to home” on social media.