Washington Duke to take points

Beginning Feb. 15, students will have two additional upscale eating facilities to satisfy their taste buds and drain their dining accounts, as the Washington Duke Inn and Golf Club makes its food available on points.

Dining at the Fairview Restaurant will be available from dinner on Thursdays through brunch on Sundays, and the more casual 19th Hole snack bar will offer the service every day.

Jim Bressler, director of sales and marketing for the Washington Duke, said the Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee had been lobbying to include something like Fairview in the dining program that would supplement the newly renovated Oak Room.

"[Director of Dining Services] Jim Wulforst was the first to bring it up the idea," Bressler said. "We mulled it over for at least 10 seconds and thought it would be a tremendous asset to the students. Any way that we can assist [students] on the social side is a wonderful investment to us."

Once the program has been implemented, Washington Duke officials may begin marketing programs such as wine- and food-tasting sessions and cooking classes to students. Campus organizations will also be able to use points for banquets, catering and other similar events.

"We have an opportunity to add a lot of educational content," Bressler said. "These programs will go a long way to round out their education."

Joe Pietrantoni, associate vice president of auxiliary services, said in a statement that the pattern of student dining is one of the primary reasons for starting the program.

"Students are more likely to leave campus and go out into the local community for weekend meals; as a result we have reduced hours in on campus establishments," Pietrantoni said. "The addition of [the] Washington Duke Inn and Golf Club's Fairview Restaurant to our dining program provides another option."

The Washington Duke has already installed DukeCard readers and trained staff how to use them.

"We want [the students] to have a fine experience here from day one," Bressler said. "The student population will be treated the same as any other guest of the hotel or the Fairview, the difference will just be in how they settle their bill."

Some students said high costs will prevent them from dining at the restaurant.

"I like the idea, but I can't think of anyone who really wants to spend that much money for just one meal," said freshman Tyson Johnson. "If students don't eat there, [having the facilities on points] is pointless."

Citing the hotel as a popular and convenient location for parents to stay during weekend visits, Bressler added that the new service would allow students to treat their parents to a meal in the restaurant during these visits.

"I'm glad they are letting us use points there, but the Washington Duke restaurant used to be for special occasions, like when your parents came in town. It wouldn't seem right for me to be taking my parents to dinner there," said freshman Sarah Penn.

Share and discuss “Washington Duke to take points” on social media.