Duke investigates 5 selectives

At least five selective groups--greek and non-greek--are under investigation for judicial violations, many of them for practices relating to member initiation.

Kacie Wallace, associate dean for judicial affairs, declined to comment on specific allegations but said they differ for each group and include pledging incidents, initiation activities, alcohol distribution and property damages.

"The pledge process is alive and well, or rather, the pledge process is alive," said Sue Wasiolek, assistant vice president for student affairs. "There have been some allegations, and I'd say we are in the investigation process now. I'm very concerned."

Todd Adams, assistant dean of student development and adviser to the Interfraternity Council, said many cases are related to groups' new member process.

"That could include issues related to hazing," he said. "Alcohol is something that is being looked at as well. It is multiple groups, and it is not just greek organizations."

Adams confirmed that in one alcohol-related incident, one group member slipped, fell and was sent to the Emergency Department. He said that none of the incidents have involved intentional severe physical harm.

Wallace said she did not think the incidents were related except for their timing and that the investigations are separate from the annual review.

"I think we're considering everything right now," she said. "We're considering pulling pledge classes, affecting residential status, disbanding groups, probation, mandatory pledge programs, working with the students on their pledge programs. We're also addressing individuals related to these activities."

Several selective living group presidents could not be reached for comment Monday night. Sigma Nu President Jeremy Morgan, Delta Sigma Phi President Colin Kelly, Alpha Epsilon Pi President Seth Weiner, Delta Kappa Epsilon President Ben Peterson, Psi Upsilon President Tedd Walther, Phi Delta Theta President Kevin Lloyd and Sigma Chi President Richard Green all said their groups were not under investigation to their knowledge.

Kappa Alpha Order President Graham McWhorter, Wayne Manor President Rudy Ruiz and Theta Chi President George Whitener declined to comment.

"I'm currently aware of quite a few of these issues and am working with the administration and the fraternity presidents to try to come up with a way to make sure these things don't happen," said Interfraternity Council President Michael Wick, a senior. Wick declined to comment on the nature of the investigations.

Last summer, the University notified the national offices of three Duke fraternities' judicial violations.

Adams said the administration would consider doing the same anytime a group is put on social probation or suspension.

"We've been in contact with all the incoming new members, primarily freshmen, and contacted them through letters or also some other information to give them the information they need," he added.

Adams emphasized that administrators ask groups the purpose of each initiation activity. He said the University's hazing policy does not distinguish whether students agree to the activities in which they participate.

Duke's hazing policy specifies a few unacceptable actions, such as the required consumption of any "liquid, solid or gaseous matter." According to the policy, hazing also includes any action that might bring physical or psychological harm to an individual, any action that will impair a student's academic efforts and any action that is illegal or contrary to a student's moral or religious beliefs.

"I abhor hazing and I think it's something we have to take very seriously," said Vice President for Student Affairs Larry Moneta. "[These incidents] have prompted me to find out what the particular laws may be in this state. The opposition has to be pretty firm."

Share and discuss “Duke investigates 5 selectives” on social media.