Council OKs 2 certificates

As the University continues to emphasize interdisciplinary studies, the Arts and Sciences Council approved new certificate programs in Documentary Studies and Information Science and Information Studies Thursday.

The increasing importance of information technology prompted the development of the ISIS certificate, which aims to provide training and research experience in the field, in addition to an understanding of the ethical and social considerations accompanying new technologies.

"We are finding more undergraduates who are coming to Duke with these interests in place," said Scott Lindroth, associate professor of music and co-director of ISIS.

Next week, ISIS will hold a symposium entitled "Free Space," a combination of photonics technology and dance, emphasizing ISIS' ability to unite diverse disciplines, said Cathy Davidson, vice provost for interdisciplinary studies.

The certificate proposal is one of the 12 strategic initiatives emerging from Building on Excellence, the University's long-term plan for academic development.

Like all certificates, ISIS will require six courses: two courses in the field, one computer science course and three electives. The first certificates will tentatively be awarded in the spring of 2004.

Some disagreement arose when the Documentary Studies certificate was proposed. Naomi Quinn, professor of cultural anthropology, objected to her course, Cultural Anthropology 189S, "Crossing Cultures," being included in a list of potential electives for the certificate.

"It doesn't seem to be an appropriate course," Quinn said, describing it as one taken by students who have traveled abroad and want to write about their experiences.

Quinn said she had not been contacted about the inclusion, and said it raised questions about the other courses listed in the proposal. She also expressed concern that it was unclear which professors were involved with the certificate.

"The courses listed in cultural anthropology were a direct result of discussion with Anne [Allison]," said Center for Documentary Studies Director Thomas Rankin, who presented the proposal. Allison, associate professor of cultural anthropology, was the acting chair of the cultural anthropology department at the time the proposal was drafted.

Part of the confusion arose because of subtleties in how courses are approved for certificate programs. Courses can only officially be cross-listed after approval has been received, although course lists must be submitted before approval.

Several council members spoke in support of the certificate.

"I know an enormous amount of thought and energy and consultation have gone into this plan," said Alex Harris, professor of the practice of documentary studies. "I would hate to have one misunderstanding derail this plan."

When the proposal was voted on, the certificate passed by a substantial majority, with Quinn the lone dissenter.

The certificate will require introductory and capstone courses in documentary studies and four elective courses.

Share and discuss “Council OKs 2 certificates” on social media.