Women's tennis opens season 2-0

The third-ranked Duke women's tennis team started its season 2-0 with a victory over No. 23 Kentucky in the title match of the Minnesota Court Classic. The win over the Wildcats followed a convincing 7-0 defeat of Marquette a day earlier.

According to coach Jamie Ashworth, Ioana Plesu's win over Amy Trefethen was the key to the victory.

The Blue Devils started the match down 1-0 after being swept in doubles competition. Duke quickly responded with singles wins from nationally ranked No. 3 Kelly McCain, No. 26 Amanda Johnson, and No. 15 Julie DeRoo to take a 3-1 lead. Ashworth, however, was still concerned about his team's chances.

"We really needed somebody to step up from the four, five, and six positions," Ashworth said.

Ashworth's wish was granted when Ioana Plesu defeated Amy Threfethen after dropping the first set 0-6.

"[Plesu's win] was the deciding factor," said Ashworth. "She's a senior, and the previous three years she's never really been in the line-up. That was big for her, and for the rest of the season."

Ashworth was also impressed with the play of Katie Granson. Granson had not played in a match since last season because of shoulder surgery, yet she also over-came a 0-6 first set loss to win the number six singles match.

"We were down 1-0 early and I was very happy with how the team responded," said Ashworth. "Kentucky is a lot better than their ranking and has three of the top doubles teams in the nation."

Being swept in the doubles competition left the Blue Devils unsatisfied.

"We can't get down 1-0 playing against tough teams every match," said Ashworth. "It's going to catch up with you eventually."

Duke earned its way into the championship by defeating Marquette 7-0. The Blue Devils appeared dominant in the contest, not losing a single set.

"It was good to get out and play another team," said Ashworth. "We have been practicing for three weeks and we needed to get a match under our belt before going up against a nationally ranked opponent Saturday."

Duke's schedule does not get any easier, as over the next two weeks the team plays formidable Harvard and competes in the National Team Indoors Tournament. The latter tournament features the best 16 team's in the country. When reminded of this, Ashworth again showed remorse about his team's doubles play.

"We have to get our doubles play in order over the next few weeks," he said.

Share and discuss “Women's tennis opens season 2-0” on social media.