University names Adams head of greek life office

Just weeks after establishing an official coordinating point for fraternities and sororities through the creation of an office of greek life, administrators have tapped Todd Adams to be the office's leader.

Adams, now an assistant dean of student development, adviser to the Interfraternity Council and chair of the Annual Review Committee, will assume the new position in the next few months under a reorganized Division of Student Affairs. The office will provide a unified administration for campus umbrella greek organizations as well as for additional greek groups. Adams hopes to use his new role to foster greater community among fraternity and sorority members.

"I think it's a great opportunity, and a unique one in that we're pulling together all the different constituencies that make up greek life on campus," Adams said. "Duke has not dedicated the resources it maybe should have or could have to these groups, so establishing an office is important in creating that kind of seamlessness in our approach."

Thirty-seven undergraduate organizations are currently defined as greek, with almost all falling under the governance of the Interfraternity Council, the National Panhellenic Council or the Panhellenic Council. Adams' office will physically and organizationally centralize the activities of the groups, with student offices neighboring those of the new dean. The location of the office has not been determined, but Adams hopes that space will become available on West Campus after the planned expansion of the Bryan Center, if not sooner.

The new office will give greek leaders more regular contact, and may facilitate stronger interaction among chapters, said IFC President Michael Wick. He praised the new office and Adams, who has developed a reputation of working constructively with fraternities since coming to the University in fall 2000. "It'll probably make everything a lot easier because having the current three organizations, just having different advisers from different offices and not having central office space, makes it more difficult for us to work together," said Wick, a senior.

Adams will face many challenges in his new role. The three umbrella groups are largely divided along racial lines--the NPHC is historically black, while the IFC and Panhel are historically white. In addition, only 15 of the 37 greek organizations have group housing on campus, and they continue to grapple with finding social space and complying with alcohol and party regulations. Next year, the groups must also adjust to changes in residential life, including the movement of fraternities off the "independent corridor," which will run down the center of Main West Campus.

Despite such issues and the expulsion of one greek group from campus in recent years, Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs Sue Wasiolek said the new office is intended to dispel rumors that the administration is trying to eliminate greek life.

"The position was filled with the expectation that the person who filled it would be supportive of the greek experience, and that the greek experience can and should be a fun and meaningful experience," Wasiolek said.

Share and discuss “University names Adams head of greek life office” on social media.