Group proposes more Mon.-Wed. classes

The University Scheduling Committee has proposed a measure to open two more Monday-Wednesday 75-minute time slots in an attempt to alleviate the demand for Tuesday-Thursday classes.

"[There is] a glut of demand for classes on Tuesday and Thursday," said Judith Ruderman, chair of the committee and vice provost for academic and administrative services. "By opening up just two more slots on Monday and Wednesday, some of those Tuesday and Thursday classes [can move]."

The change, which has been tentatively approved by Provost Peter Lange, would go into effect on a provisional basis in Spring 2003, Ruderman said. The additional periods would be scheduled before the current 2:20 p.m. slot.

"There are a lot of professors who prefer [Tuesday-Thursday classes]," said committee member Charles Harman, professor of mechanical engineering. "There's a greater demand for classes that meet twice a week on a 75-minute schedule."

Many committee members expect the additional flexibility to benefit students as well as professors.

"It's pretty basic what the University Scheduling Committee wants to do," said freshman Aneil Lala, the Duke Student Government representative to the committee. "It's just more convenient for everybody."

Ruderman stressed this policy was not an attempt to de-emphasize Friday classes.

Concern about the number of Friday classes was brought to the forefront by Dean of the Chapel Will Willimon's November 2000 report that suggested that the dearth of classes between Thursday and Monday encourage drinking and partying on the weekends.

"Reducing Friday classes is not the intent or the effect," Ruderman said. "There's not a thing [in the proposal] about playing down Friday.... We are the last people to want to make Friday a Oplay day.'"

She added that the scheduling committee is considering other changes that may increase the number of Friday classes.

Lala agreed students prefer not to have Friday classes, but also said that this preference did not affect the committee's decision.

Share and discuss “Group proposes more Mon.-Wed. classes” on social media.