Duke fields largest pool in history

Led by large increases in students from international and minority backgrounds, the University continued its success this year in undergraduate admissions with a record number of applicants.

With a small backlog remaining to be counted, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions received about 15,591 total applications this year, breaking the previous record of 15,120 set in 1987. The new record represents about a 6 percent increase over last year, and comes after an increase of 22 percent in early applications.

"Primarily I think it's due to the fact that we recruited more," said Christoph Guttentag, director of undergraduate admissions.

"That's not the only reason, but part of it is that we spent more time off campus recruiting students, and we were more aggressive in terms of contacting students who expressed an interest in Duke."

The admissions office received $500,000 this year to aid in recruiting, part of a plan to increase the racial and economic diversity of the student body. In addition, this is the first year the University is offering need-based financial aid to non-U.S. citizens, a factor that Guttentag said proved essential in increasing international applications about 25 percent over last year.

"We were able to bring in some exceptionally, exceptionally talented students who otherwise would not have been able to apply," Guttentag said.

Some University officials worried last semester that the Sept. 11 attacks would discourage international students from coming to the United States, said Carlisle Harvard, director of the International House. The increase in applications has put that to rest, she added.

"It relieves that anxiety, and signals the growing awareness of Duke as an international institution," Harvard said. "The schools that we feel like we're competitive with, many of them do give financial aid to undergraduate international students, so I think it's important for us to be on the same playing field as them."

Applications from minority students increased 9.5 percent over last year, with the biggest upswings coming among Native American applicants--51 percent--and black applicants--14 percent. Applications from Asian-American and Latino students grew 8 and 3 percent, respectively.

Guttentag attributed the increase to better resources and methods in recruiting, including a more experienced admissions staff, as well as high schoolers' impressions of the University.

Native American students at Duke have been trying for years to increase recruitment, through visits to schools and conferences and meetings with administrators. Native American Student Coalition leaders expressed hope that numbers would continue to increase.

"I think it helps increase the diversity of Duke," said senior Anna Denson, co-president of the Native American Student Coalition. "We've been having meetings to increase Native American recruitment for years, so it comes as a shock that so many Native Americans applied."

Other factors affecting the overall increase in admissions are difficult to quantify, Guttentag said, adding that the men's basketball team's 2001 NCAA championship likely played some role.

He added that students choose a college for a complex set of reasons, and that having a successful athletic team gives the University undeniable exposure.

"I think some students are encouraged not just by a basketball championship, but by the spirit and enthusiasm that a campus of very bright and very talented students can demonstrate for an accomplishment like that," Guttentag said.

Although early decision applications seemed to indicate a desire by students to stay closer to home, Guttentag said such a trend was less clear in applications overall. For example, applications from California fell slightly while those from Washington state rose.

Whatever the explanation for the increase, Guttentag expects the acceptance rate to fall this year.

"I expect this will be the most selective year in Duke admissions," Guttentag said. "I think it's going to be a bit of a challenge for even very, very bright students to be admitted to Duke this year."

Share and discuss “Duke fields largest pool in history” on social media.