Crime Briefs

Police respond to car break-in

At 8:35 p.m. Jan. 10, Duke University Police Department responded to the upper Yearby H parking lot in reference to a breaking and entering to an auto in progress, said Maj. Robert Dean of the police department. An employee reported that as he was escorted to his vehicle by the Medical Center van service, he observed a subject run from his vehicle in the direction of Erwin Road, carrying his jumper cables and a backpack.

Duke officers proceeded to the wooded area at Erwin Road and Highway 147, west of Anderson Street, in search of the subject, where they were met by a Durham police canine unit. The police dog located the subject hiding in a ditch. The subject attempted to kick the dog and was bitten on the left hand, left buttock and ankle. After being treated at the Emergency Department, 29-year-old Eric Sherron Thompson of 2716 Rochelle St. in Durham was placed under arrest by Duke police and charged with breaking and entering a motor vehicle and larceny. His court date is Jan. 14, and his bond is $5,000. Thompson could not be reached for comment.

Police solicit help in rape, robbery

Durham CrimeStoppers are seeking information about a rape and robbery near East Campus Jan. 10.

A woman reported that at about 8 p.m. as she walked to her car in the 400 block of North Gregson Street near Minerva Avenue, a man approached and hit her on the head several times with a mallet-like weapon.

The man--described as a 5'7" black man of slender build, wearing a blue hooded jacket with the lower half of his face covered--forced the victim to drive to Central Carolina Bank at 1516 North Gregson St., then Wachovia Bank at 2000 West Main St., then the Duke University Federal Credit Union at 1400 Morreene Rd., at which places he forced her to withdraw money. He then forced her to drive to Maxwell Street near Buchanan Boulevard and sexually assaulted her. The man told the victim to drive him to the dead end of Wilkerson Avenue, where he got out of the vehicle and fled.

Anyone with information is asked to call CrimeStoppers at 683-1200 or Investigator D.C. West at 560-4440, ext. 272. CrimeStoppers offers cash rewards for information leading to arrests in felony cases.

Vehicle raided on Hillsborough Road

An employee reported that between 9:30 a.m. and 6:38 p.m. Jan. 8, someone broke out the $300 right front window of her vehicle and stole a $350 Clarion AM/FM CD player, 24 CDs worth $350, a $35 CD carrier, a $60 small pink Victoria's Secret bathrobe, a $50 small black Victoria's Secret nightgown and two Bath & Body air fresheners worth $13, Dean said. The vehicle was parked in the H parking lot on Hillsborough Road.

Laptop stolen from research center

An employee reported that between 7:30 p.m. Jan. 9 and 9:30 a.m. Jan. 10, someone entered a secured room on the third floor of the Bryan Research Center and stole a $2,000 IBM/Think Pad laptop computer, Dean said. There were no signs of forced entry.

K-ville tents entered last week

Three students sharing a tent in Krzyzewskiville reported that between 8:45 and 10:50 p.m. Jan. 10, someone entered their tent and stole the following items: a $110 American Eagle Outfitters medium-size nylon, navy, gray and yellow winter coat with a fleece lining, an $80 Structure bright yellow jacket with fleece lining, a $500 Northface red and black jacket with green fleece lining, a $15 blue and black toboggan with Duke on one side and a Blue Devil insignia on the other and a $12 pair of Zabetti black cotton gloves, Dean said.

More crime over break

Three additional break-ins that occurred during winter break were reported, Dean said. A student reported that between 8 a.m. Dec. 16 and 3:20 p.m. Jan. 6, someone broke out the driver's window of his vehicle, causing $200 in damage, and stole the $400 Kenwood Kameloon CD receiver, Dean said. The vehicle was parked behind Brown Dormitory.

Between 9:30 a.m. Dec. 16 and 3:55 p.m. Jan. 9, someone broke out the passenger's side window of a student's brother's vehicle, causing $300 in damage and another $400 in damage to the dashboard, Dean said. The perpetrator also stole the $589 Kenwood Excelon CD receiver in the vehicle, which was parked behind Alspaugh Dormitory.

Someone entered a student's room in Maxwell House's section between 1 p.m. Dec. 15 and 8:40 a.m. Jan. 8 and stole his $2,500 Dell laptop computer, Dean said. There were no signs of forced entry.

Share and discuss “Crime Briefs” on social media.