Trent residents lose 20 parking spots

One morning early this fall, Rodney Parker, the area coordinator for Trent Drive Hall, found a parking ticket on his car, something many other residents would find on their own cars in days to come. They later found out that about 20 spots in the Trent parking lot close to Erwin Road were now valet spots for the Medical Center.

"I received a ticket that said, OThis is for valet parking only,'" Parker said. "I have not been told anything." Parker added that other frustrated students have come to him and that one was trying to contact parking authorities on behalf of the entire dormitory.

Jackie Porcelli, finance manager at the Medical Center, said the parking lot had been loaned to the University but was now needed for additional valet spots. She said the Medical Center will use the new spots, which will supplement an existing valet garage, for elderly patients who drive up to the Medical Center and have their cars parked by hospital staff; she noted that it is only a small section of the total parking area available to Trent residents.

"If there have been any real concerns, I have not been made aware of them," Porcelli said.

But many Trent residents have concerns about the lack of notice given to them, adding that there were no signs to inform them of the change. "When we got back, there was no [valet parking] sign," said sophomore Christine Alvarez, but students were still ticketed.

"I know that people have gotten ticketed," said Laura Durity, another Trent resident.

One student noted that the valet parking space is never full outside of hospital hours. "During the day it's full, but at night, it's completely empty and [students] still have to park in the other lots," said sophomore Matt Bettis.

Share and discuss “Trent residents lose 20 parking spots” on social media.