Other side of the tracks?

If you're looking for a classy place to buy adult videos, toys, novelties and DVDs at 2 a.m., you don't have to travel far from campus. Railroad Video, located a mile from campus and open 24 hours, is a one-stop-shop that its owners claim provides "all things to everyone when it comes to adult products sold with discretion."

As many passerbys have noticed, the store recently acquired a new, colorful sign displaying the store name in large letters--a replacement from an old sign that simply read "Adult XXX."

"We are more upscale with a safer environment. Customers are in a better quality store, and they don't feel intimidated to be there. We work hard to make sure our store is clean and neat, and we try to come off as any other type of business. This helps to take away some of the stigma of what an adult store is," said co-owner Ken Friedman.

With an upscale image, owners hope to draw a new base of patrons, who might choose to visit the store for a variety of reasons.

"I went there for the first time after a date where I was told to go home. After yet another night of unsuccessful dating, I was led to seek some comfort at the XXX store," said junior Dan Calamia. "I went because I was looking for a naked woman and I was able to purchase one there as a blow-up doll. I thought it was a good idea because I couldn't get a real girl."

Calamia frequents Railroad Video two to three times per week for dolls and whip-its, but feels the store is not a true part of the Duke community.

"I've never seen any other students there," he said. "I think the majority of Duke students go there for the whip-its."

Although Railroad Video sells whip-its, a nitrous oxide substance used to make whipped cream, they are not a large percentage of the store's overall sales.

"We noticed a need for this product in the community. The only other place that sells them is the home-and-kitchen store at the mall," Friedman said.

Store owners are not concerned with how their patrons use the whip-its.

"A lot of things in our store can be used in all sorts of ways, but as long as they don't use them to hurt themselves or others, it doesn't matter to us what they do with them," said co-owner Matt Ferber.

Though some may purchase whip-its, students are not a large percentage of the patron base.

"Our perception is that undergrads are not the bulk of our business," said Friedman. "We are happy to serve the college and we do, but if Duke moved tomorrow, it would not affect our business."

Students are often surprised upon their first visit to Railroad Video and have varying first impressions.

"It's a fairly nice, clean store that sells videos and toys. It's where any consenting adult would go if they wanted to spice up their life," said senior Colin Carrihill.

Others found their first experience not as favorable.

"The first thing I noticed when I went was the man mopping up the floors in the back room where people can preview the videos for $10," said Calamia.

Some students who visit Railroad Video are participating in pledging activities.

"We went there taking part in a pledge task. It didn't bother me. I tried to have fun with it. There's nothing to be intimidated by. The owners were more than helpful and had fun with it," said Carrihill.

Friedman and Ferber said they try to have a good time with their college customers.

"Most of the guys that come in look uncomfortable, and they are participating in scavenger hunts or either come in blindfolded or have to feel products," Ferber said.

The decision to open the store came in 1994, when owners noticed a need in the community for a store selling adult products.

"We provide a service, and we're the classiest option considering the breadth of material we carry. We're not like a Priscilla's or an Adam and Eve Store, which cater more to women and do more with lingerie.... We cater equally to men and women," Friedman said.

Store owners believe they have found their niche in the Durham area and believe their patrons are pleased with the selection they offer.

"The XXX Store is a great place where we can immediately fulfill our desires," said Calamia. "You want to see girls, you want to see this, you go the XXX store. You want to get high off a whip-it, you go to the XXX store. It's an outlet for instant-gratification, pleasure-seeking people like myself."

Share and discuss “Other side of the tracks?” on social media.