University reacts to cloning

University officials say they do not believe the embryonic stem cell work reported Sunday will immediately affect research at Duke, but caution that the potential for creating human embryos has generated the need for public dialogue.

"It is certainly the case that this research will increase the urgency of addressing issues [surrounding the stem cell research debate]," said Provost Peter Lange. "[The administration has] had ongoing talks in a whole set of research areas and this has certainly been a major issue in our thinking of genomics research."

The debate over stem cell research has been long and heated, with one of the most salient responses being an immediate opposition to cloning embryos.

"There's a substantial number of people who believe that any human organism that could potentially become a person has a special moral status that needs to be treated in a particular way," said Elizabeth Kiss, director of the Kenan Institute for Ethics and a faculty member with the Center for Genome Ethics, Law and Policy.

In particular, religious authorities have questioned what they see as the immoral destruction of human life. Amy Laura Hall, an assistant professor in the Divinity School, cautioned against supporting cloning simply for image.

"We at Duke must ask ourselves, as science stands on the brink of human cloning, whether or not our ambition will outstrip our wisdom," Hall said. "As was the case with embryonic stem cell research, cloning involves the manipulation and the mere use of nascent human. To push at this edge, to exist at this limit, is to threaten our very capacity to be a good, hospitable people."

Dr. Douglas Marchuk, associate professor of genetics, admitted that there is potential for embryonic research to push limits of acceptability.

"I think we'll end up moving the line further back on a continuum, which may create somewhat of a slippery slope," he said. "Although the people at the particular company [behind Sunday's report] say that their results will be used solely for research, it's clear that perhaps that technology could be used to make humans."

Currently, much related research at Duke has been limited to adult stem cells. Many researchers have stressed the need to distinguish the actual cloning of humans from the use of human embryos solely for research. They say those embryos are destroyed and thus leave society with different ethical questions.

Scientists and researchers tout the potential benefits of stem cell research. Because it can be used to replace damaged tissue, the strategy may help treat neurodegenerative and muscular disorders, cardiac disease, diabetes and spinal cord injuries. Furthermore, creating embryonic stem cells produces a more controllable source of cells, and also provides immunologically identical cells to the host.

Above all, Duke administrators are emphasizing the need for public education. "Many of our departments are increasing their interest in stem cell biology and tissue regeneration strategies, which will ultimately affect medical school and campus departments. This is a growth area for biomedical science, and as the biotechnology advances, the policy regulating it will become very important," said Dr. Sandy Williams, dean of the School of Medicine. "This is a very thorny issue, and I'd like to think that Duke will be in the forefront of the academic circles that reach out to educate society."

Public debate about stem cell research has recently been overshadowed by news relating to the Sept. 11 attacks, but officials believe the issue remains relevant.

"Within the broad principles [of justice, respect of persons and beneficence], we will have to apply our own judgments and experiences and values to guide us in terms of how we should conduct this research," said Dr. Russel Kaufman, vice dean for education and academic affairs. "Certainly the discussion of this will intensify, and as a society, we will have to reach a broad consensus on research involving embryonic stem cells." Without this public and legal support for academic research, he fears studies will be limited to private companies or foreign institutions.

Nonetheless, researchers and ethicists recognize the difficulties ahead.

"Any process that is involved in the heart of our being and soul is a complex process, and has many sides and different layers of complexity in what it means to our society and to every individual," said Dr. Jeffrey Vance, co-director of the Center for Human Genetics. "These kinds of issues are totally gray, not black and white."

Share and discuss “University reacts to cloning” on social media.