Forum addresses bioterroism threat

Although North Carolina has many steps to take in its bioterrorism protection efforts, it is one of the most prepared areas of the country, panelists said at a roundtable discussion Monday.

The discussion, hosted by U.S. Reps. Bob Etheridge and David Price, both Democrats, brought together city, safety, postal and medical officials to discuss the state's readiness. Panelists emphasized that the state's work to combat bioterrorism had been going on for years before the Sept. 11 attack and the Oct. 4 anthrax scare.

"Anthrax has gotten everyone's attention, so we can talk about something that's been an issue for a long time," Etheridge said.

Leah Devlin, acting state health director, added that diseases such as smallpox and the plague are more toxic than anthrax. There is currently a list of 61 diseases and conditions that must be reported to the state if noticed in patients, and smallpox will be added to that list Nov. 9.

She said the state will strengthen disease surveillance by providing seven regional bioterrorist teams to promote early detection of any symptoms. These teams would determine who has been exposed and who needs treatment and provide accurate, timely and complete information.

The panel stressed the need for cooperation among and between county and state officials, and the public.

"We have to build bottom-up capacity," said Eric Tolbert, director of emergency management. Tolbert described a three-tier response program. Tier three, at the county level, would provide protective equipment, decontamination capability and initial treatment. Tier two, at the level-one trauma centers in the state, would increase hospital-based response. Tier one, the existing state team, would perform the duties of the other tiers and provide oversight.

"Local responders must be equipped to stand alone for several hours," said David Martinez, an FBI special agent and weapons of mass destruction coordinator. He said the FBI is branching out to work with health professionals to improve local response. "Any information revealed during investigation will be shared. We can no longer stay in our little stove pipe."

Funding for such investigations and other methods of bioterrorist prevention, was also a hot topic during the discussion. Etheridge and Price presented a $7 billion package, which they hope will be passed in the House. They highlighted certain initiatives, including the allocation of $8 million for private water systems and background checks on personnel in water treatment plants and bottling facilities. The plan also earmarks $420 million for initial crisis response. "If we can get this piece of legislation on the floor and passed, we can take away one of terrorism's greatest weapons, and that is fear," Etheridge said.

Both representatives said they hope the debate over their plan can be non-partisan, as it involves the protection of the entire nation.

Share and discuss “Forum addresses bioterroism threat” on social media.