Filling directorship proves difficult

The Divinity School is hoping to find a new director for the Office of Black Church Studies by the end of the semester, a position that has been empty for over two years.

Since Rev. Jarrett Gray left the position, the Divinity School has offered the job to four candidates, all of whom turned it down, said Willie Jennings, dean of Academic Affairs for the Divinity School.

Gregory Jones, dean of the Divinty School, said filling the position is one of the school's top priorities this year.

Jay Carter was offered the position in spring 2000, but instead accepted an assistant professor position within black church studies.

The director position combines both faculty and administrative responsibilities and Carter said he preferred a position that concentrated only on teaching and research.

"[Filling the position] is not an easy thing to do because it is a hybrid position," Jennings said. "The thought of coming to Duke is daunting enough, not even taking into account the hugeness of the job."

In addition to the difficulties of finding someone to take on both administrative and teaching responsibilities, Carter said the Divinity School's commitment to having a director with both academic interest and experience in black church life and extensive education in the field has made filling the position difficult.

"That combination in one person is not usual," Carter said. "That it has taken two years to find someone to fill the spot is not at all hard to believe."

Jennings said the black church studies office currently provides leadership, curriculum and support for students, as well as an invitation to a wide black Christian community.

He said he has three goals for the new director: more research focused on black Christian thought and life, training the next generation of Christian leaders and helping the Duke community and the black community that surrounds the University.

Jones also said he hopes the new director will foster racial reconciliation within the Divinity School.

"We are one of the major links of the University to the Durham community," Jennings said. "We have a direct link to many of the black churches in this area, and in many ways, the Durham community claims ownership of [black church studies]."

Rodney Sadler, the interim director of the office, said this relationship allows the University to have one of the nation's most prominent black church studies programs.

The Duke Divinity School is one of only a few that still requires a course in black church studies. The office also offers workshops and lecture series.

In addition to making ties to the Durham community, Jennings said the office also serves as a source of support for black students at the University. He said he hopes the new director will further these relations.

"In the last year, the Divinity School has made significant strides to hear a variety of different voices in regards to the hurts of this issue [of racial reconciliation]," Sadler said.

"Even though we are talking about reconciliation, we are living in a different community in the Divinity School," he said.

Despite the obstacles in filling the position, Jones said he thinks having Jennings as part of the Divinity School makes it appealing to prospective members, including a new director.

"Willie Jennings has helped make us a more attractive place for black scholars to be," Jones said. "I think he will continue to attract more black students and faculty."

Share and discuss “Filling directorship proves difficult” on social media.