Duke to request one more permit

The tradition of celebratory bonfires may be a little more common after basketball games this year.

The University will request permits for as many as five bonfires this basketball season, one more blazing celebration than last year's championship season. After discussions earlier this fall, administrators and Duke Student Government officials added a bonfire for the men's Jan. 17 home game against the University of Maryland, which is currently ranked fourth in the country.

"I expect the Maryland home game to be the best home game of the season, and I have expected everyone to be very excited if and when we do beat them," said senior Greg Skidmore, DSG head line monitor.

The other four bonfires are planned for the two men's games against the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and the final games of the men's and women's NCAA tournaments.

A statewide ban on burning because of the recent drought had threatened to put the University's requests in jeopardy, but that ban was lifted with this week's rain. In addition, an unauthorized bonfire after the men's overtime victory at Maryland last January raised questions about the safety of the bonfires, and Durham fire officials temporarily canceled the other permits. They now say those concerns have been resolved and the University is likely to get the permits.

"As long as Duke continues to meet the requirements set forth by the state and the city of Durham, Duke should have no problem obtaining permits," said Durham fire marshal Edward Reid.

This season, administrators and students will continue the system of having an "A-Team," composed of volunteers from both groups, monitor the bonfire celebrations.

The number of permits was reduced from six to four last year with University officials eliminating the permits for the Atlantic Coast Conference championship game and the NCAA regional final game. Students and administrators said the bonfires had become too frequent, especially with the conference championship occurring over spring break.

Skidmore said that same sentiment remains this year.

"I don't necessarily want to have five bonfires. This just allows us enough leeway that when we feel the spontaneity and that feeling you have after a great victory," Skidmore said.

This year, the away game against UNC-CH comes just two weeks after the Maryland home game, a proximity that may cause the first UNC-CH bonfire to be smaller or even canceled.

"I think we will just wait until the time comes and make the decision then," said Sue Wasiolek, assistant vice president for student affairs.

Share and discuss “Duke to request one more permit” on social media.