ABC chair reports to Durham Board

Topics at a Durham County Board of Commissioners meeting Monday ranged from telecommunications towers to the county's Alcoholic Beverage Control Board.

Eric Michaux, chair of the ABC Board since this summer, gave the commissioners an update on the board's progress, fielding questions about recent robberies and a case of embezzlement in Durham's ABC stores. "If the money doesn't come in and it's not reconciled, I want to know why," commissioner Becky Heron said.

Michaux explained that Wake and Orange counties, as well as Durham, have experienced a "rash of robberies" and that a computer system keeps track of daily deposits, alerting the board of potential embezzlement.

Commissioner Ellen Reckhow expressed concern that ABC stores in other counties of comparable size are generating more money. "Mixed beverage sales [in New Hanover and Mecklenburg counties] far exceed those of Durham," Michaux said, explaining that they are close to the water and attract vacationers.

The commissioners also addressed the status of the Durham Comprehensive Plan, which accounts for development in various areas including public schools and roadwork. It also calls for the implementation of a citizens steering committee to provide public information via hearings, newsletters, television and the Internet.

"We can fix things we have grown to see as problems in the planning of the past," said Keith Luck, planning supervisor for the city-county planning department.

Reckhow, who was chosen Monday to represent the board on the joint city-county planning committee, advised Luck to approach the planning process systematically. "Give us the blueprint of where those roads need to be, because if we don't get it down on paper, we're going to make mistakes again," she said.

The commissioners also postponed a decision on whether to impose a six-month moratorium on the development of new telecommunications towers. Sheila Stains-Ramp, interim assistant planning director, said the planning committee wants to increase the scope of its master plan for the towers and needs time to consider issues like the potential interference with emergency communications.

The board delayed any decision on the moratorium until the planning committee presents the larger-scope plan in December.

With little debate, the board also approved issuing up to $11.3 million in bonds for capital improvement plans in what could be the first step toward refunding the county's current bonds to reduce the amount of debt service the county must bear.

"If interest rates decrease, we'll issue more bonds, increasing savings," said county attorney Chuck Kitchen.

The board will address the question of whether to refund the bonds at its next meeting in two weeks.

Share and discuss “ABC chair reports to Durham Board” on social media.