Council hopefuls debate at forum

This summer's scandal over small business loan allocation sparked debate between City Council hopefuls at a forum sponsored by the Herald-Sun of Durham Monday night.

Ward 1 candidates Cora Cole-McFadden and Jeffery White, Ward 2 candidates Howard Clement and Michael Peterson, and Ward 3 candidates John Best and Erick Larson had an opportunity to respond to audience questions on key city issues.

Several audience questions concerned the City Council's responsibility to manage taxpayer funds. One question addressed the Council's plans regarding fiscal mismanagement, especially small business loan funds--some of which have come under federal investigation. Although all candidates supported an audit and investigation of missing funds, there was disagreement as to how much the City Council itself was to blame.

"We have to make this city fiscally responsible," White argued. He said whoever had mismanaged the funds should pay the consequences.

Best used his experience as a small business owner to demonstrate his perspective on the situation. "If the government comes in and wants to see our records, and we don't show them, we get thrown in jail," Best said.

But Larson contended that audits of the missing funds were not the responsibility of the City Council, though he supported investigating them anyway. "We were trying to do the best job that we could," Larson said. He also cited the numerous positive effects of past loans, including newly paved roads.

Candidates also addressed issues of growth and development within Durham. Peterson accused Clement of "rubber-stamping all that the developers want."

Clement said he supported any zoning or building ordinance that met the approval of planners employed by the city and county.

Another audience member asked the candidates whether they supported the city's ability to annex areas without the approval of citizens of that area.

Larson and Clement both supported the city's right to add neighboring territory, contending it was the only way to efficiently coordinate public works and services in light of suburban growth.

However, other candidates disagreed.

"If an area wants to be on its own, they have that right," said White, adding residents should vote on any proposed annexations.

A 1950s North Carolina law permits cities to annex land outside their limits without the vote of their residents.

Peterson contended the city's recent annexation of low-crime areas was the reason that Durham's overall crime rate has decreased. He said that criminal activity within other areas of Durham had stayed at past levels or even increased.

Clement said this accusation was false.

Candidates also offered their views on education and the living wage ordinance. Cole-McFadden called for more after-school activities and increased vocational education within public schools.

All the candidates voiced their support for the city's standing living wage policy, which dictates that the city pay its employees at least the minimum amount that is deemed livable. However, some candidates opposed applying the living wage policy to the private sector.

"[A better] way of helping businesses and wages [in Durham] is to lower taxes," said Best.

Share and discuss “Council hopefuls debate at forum” on social media.